Poll: do you use protection?

Do you use a filter for lens protection?

• Most or all of the time

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Rarely or none of the time

Votes: 13 68.4%

• Total voters

ksmattfish

Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still
Reaction score
Website
www.henrypeach.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A bit of advice beginning photogs often hear is to get UV or skylight filters to protect their lenses. When I started out creating this pile of gear I call a camera collection I always purchased a UV filter with the lens. At some point my photo mentors convinced me that maybe keeping it on all the time wasn't such a great idea, and besides it was getting too expensive to make sure every lens/camera had one, so I stopped buying them, and eventually stopped using them at all. Eight years later, and I have yet to damage a lens in a manner where the filter would have protected it (knock on wood).

I don't think it's a right or wrong issue, just curious to see what people think.

on those lenses which do not have a front glass for protection, i always use a B + W pro UV filter.

I realised at least it does no harm ... when i experience flare problems or reflections in difficult light, i take the filter off.. but just to realise that it makes no difference.

forgot to mention, I also use the lens hood on usually ... and when ready for shooting I might walk around for hours with no lens-cap on. so I feel safer with lens hood and UV filter ;)

I often get some dirt on my UV filter and I am much more relaxed when cleanign the filter than when cleaning my front lens ;)

I only use filters to get an effect... makes no sense to me to put $80 worth of glass on the front of a $1500 lens. I'd not be happy with the filter breaking and scrathing the lens either. Just my .02.

I'd not be happy with the filter breaking and scrathing the lens either. Just my .02.

That would be a catastrophy, that is for sure ;)

But filters are just so convenient when branches full of leaves, sand and whatever get in contact with your lens ;)

I don't think I even own a UV filter.

I certainly don't want to spend an extra $30-$80 for each lens. If I'm outside, I probably have a hood and/or a polarizer filter on...so I would have taken off a UV filter anyway.

I can foresee some situations, like Lol999 mentioned, that I would prefer to have some extra protection...but it would be rather uncommon for me.

I read an article somewhere...that explained just how hard & scratch resistant lenses are these days. Most of the time...you would have a hard time actually damaging the lens. A lot of people get what they thing are scratches...but they are actually just marks that can be cleaned off with a bit of elbow grease.

I did drop a camera onto the front once, it fell out of a truck when I opened the door. It has a polarizer on the front and the filter was wrecked. Did it save the lens? I can't say.

The only time I use a UV filter is if I'm at the beach and the sand is blowing. It's very easy to scratch the lens. Other than that, it's just a pain, and too expensive for every lens. , not to mention when I want to use a polarizer, or a graduated neutral density filter, it's just in the way and I waste valuable time.

Most of my shooting goes on outdoors, so I usually have a polarizer on the camera.

If I'm shooting anything indoors, it doesn't matter because it's unlikely I'm going to be doing anything that would damage the lens.

So, I voted yes because the polarizer could count for that.

Most reactions

Back