Portrait of Louise

Rabieshund

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
img_2983-1_lo873.jpg

Louise is singer/songwriter and she wanted a pretty close portrait. I don't do many portraits nowadays but it's good practice.

I think this is great...the only thing bothering me is the lightened hair on the left which is coming across as gray.

Amazing photo though...

Thanks, I made the hair a little more blue.

beautiful!... both model and capture :thumbup: what was your lighting set up for this one?

Thanks. :) Hmm, I used two small (and cheap) 110Ws flashes. One softbox almost straight above me and then one direct flash from behind her head.

BTW it could be you didn't get more feedback becuz your photo takes FOREVER to load- just a thought.

Hmm that's odd. The file is only 100kb.. I could try and change host.

It loads as fast as other images on my computer. The backlighting helps to create a little separation between the model and the background.

The hair is however too long at the eyes. A very short trim with scissors would have brought out the eyes even more. In postprocessing, I would reduce the red in the corner of the eye at the right. The blue colour however is brought out extremely well.

The flash unfortunately gives a flat, less modeled three dimensional look which is unfortunately reinforced by the hair style. I would also edit out the flash reflection on the end of her nose. The lighting also makes her face look wider on the right and more classic and sculpted on the left.

Skin texture and small, slight colour variations could be evened out with a softening brush on the right hand side, under the lips, on the right side of her nose and at the end of the chin.

skieur

I think everything was loading a bit slow on this site yesterday, because I had the same problem with different images.

You captured her beautifully. The color of the eyes is gorgeous and the skin texture is very well done. I really admire your work! :thumbup:

NJ

I think everything was loading a bit slow on this site yesterday, because I had the same problem with different images.

You captured her beautifully. The color of the eyes is gorgeous and the skin texture is very well done. I really admire your work! :thumbup:

NJ

I take it that you can't see the colour variations and the pores that need to be evened out and smoothed somewhat.

skieur

Thank you for the comments. And thanks skieur for the criticism. I don't agree with you on the skin part though. Any more smoothening and it would look crap probably. I like keeping it at least a tiny bit natural.

Thank you for the comments. And thanks skieur for the criticism. I don't agree with you on the skin part though. Any more smoothening and it would look crap probably. I like keeping it at least a tiny bit natural.

I also like the skin how it is and don't think it needs any further smoothening. I also like the hair as it is and don't see it as a problem in any way, its a modern cut, doesn't shadow the eye too much, and suits her well.

I also like the skin how it is and don't think it needs any further smoothening. I also like the hair as it is and don't see it as a problem in any way, its a modern cut, doesn't shadow the eye too much, and suits her well.

Actually it is best on the left side and needs a slight amount of work on the right side to match with the left. Some colour problems on the right nostril can also be reduced and blended in better.

It has been recognized on one pro forum that too many men portrait photographers tend to be sloppy when it comes to paying attention to the hair of their client or model. One female pro strongly agreed that small details in hair style and even nails are important in portraiture.

If you really take portraiture seriously and study the field a little, you will find that my critique is correct. Quality is in the details.

skieur

If you really take portraiture seriously and study the field a little, you will find that my critique is correct.r

Well, I hardly do portraits at all. My specialty is band promos. ;P Though I would like the address to that pro forum, thanks.

It loads as fast as other images on my computer. The backlighting helps to create a little separation between the model and the background.

The hair is however too long at the eyes. A very short trim with scissors would have brought out the eyes even more. In postprocessing, I would reduce the red in the corner of the eye at the right. The blue colour however is brought out extremely well.

The flash unfortunately gives a flat, less modeled three dimensional look which is unfortunately reinforced by the hair style. I would also edit out the flash reflection on the end of her nose. The lighting also makes her face look wider on the right and more classic and sculpted on the left.

Skin texture and small, slight colour variations could be evened out with a softening brush on the right hand side, under the lips, on the right side of her nose and at the end of the chin.

skieur

If you've taken any note of rabies work, you'd know making people plastic is not what he does. This has more of a gritty soulful look than any cover of vogue ive ever seen.

I suppose you should just do what he says rabies. after all his opinion is more important than any artistic vision you had in making this.

nice work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back