Printing Pics

blatalllic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to print this picture....How can I do that? I know its a noob question but I have never printed a picture before....I plan on taking it to wolf camera to get it printed, dont even know if they do that lol....

Currently its 3244x1532 which is roughly 45x21 inches

I want to hang this on top of my bed (king size)

I just need to save the JPEG file to a CD correct?

H-Town.jpg

Yes you can take it to your photo lab and they can print it, just be sure its the same size ratio you want to print to, an extreme example would be that you want to print on a 4x6, so that mean the photo lab needs to crop it themselves or the computer does it itself....my point is make sure its pre cropped to make sure you dont have any surprises (and an expensive one at that) on mpix.com they can do a 5x15 that will crop the top/bottom off, a 10x20 that will take a little of the sides or my local lab has a 10x24 that would take a bit off the sky, wolfcamera wont show me the sizes they offer unless i sign up so I dont know, but the 10x24 ratio seems to be the ticket for that picture.

Also if printed at 300dpi it will print a 10.813" x 5.107" print...not that it means much, you can print much larger and from 2-3 feet away it will look the same.

Yes I would save it on a CD as a "highest quality" Jpeg

I made a crop to give you an idea of the proportions

24x10
24x10.jpg

20x10
20x10.jpg

sooo a picture that is 45x21 is too big

So I should tell them to reduce it to 10x24

That might be to small for a picture above my bed....

I like the 24x10

Soo I just need to tell them that size....

well if you can find someone that will print a 45x21 that would be great, Though I dont belive thats a standard size. I cant find any in my area that go bigger than 30" wide in a panorama...30x40 is the bigest but not the right ratio for what you want.

A lab usually will give you an option of prints to pick from like these
http://www.buckeyecolor.com/pdfs/Automated%20Digital%20Prints.pdf so you have to usually crop to what their sizes are.

If you can find a smaller print shop in the area that uses something like a HP Designjet for softproofing you can get a 24"x several feet print, they can make it whatever size you need. I would imagine a 45x21" print would cost them 40-50 bucks, but I haven't looked into those printers for awile, so your looking at 75-100 bucks for one depending on the cost of ink,paper, and markup.

**Edit
I would also use a program like genuine fractals to resize it to a higher res, they work very well for blowing up images for print.

24x10 is the size that I want.....Wolf camera didnt offer that size and what they did offer cut my picture.....

sooo I have to go elsewhere...And I dont know where in my city lol....I have to call around...

yea i kinda figured they would say that :)

I would shop around, check the pro print labs, the chain ones seem to have less than desirable results/service.

Buckeye color lab is used by all the pro photographers in the area and you can also have them print one photo. They are very good at what they do and will be so much better than walmart/ritz/walgreens, i've tried them all. I would suggest using them, they can do an automated 24x10 print for 16.28 or for 19.75 they have a person to the color correction. They also have something called True Match Black and White for 15.59....might produce better results since they don't use an color...haven't used it though so I can't say for sure.

Theres also other online prints place available, i've only used mpix online, but buckeye ends up being cheaper and faster for me (hour drive :) )

make sure you post a pic when you get it hung up!

just check around, I know there's like 3-4 wolf cameras in memphis, some can print huge things, some can't, just depends on what printer they have in each shop. you can print any size you want, I think AdamZx3 was just trying to warn you to pic a specific ratio...

Found a place!!! Getting printed as we speak.... Got to pick it up today at 5....He told me that he lighten up the windows.....

Heres my next question...Whats a good screen to look and edit your pictures on...Ive noticed that things look different on my comp screen then my co-workers screen....

I prefer with even more sky off the top. 30x10 will print at just over 100ppi so I'd probably upsize to print that at 150ppi (image size=4500 x 1500)

or the 24x8 would print at about 135ppi again I'd upsize and print at 150ppi (image size = 3600 x 1200)

THe 24x10 just has a little too much sky area with nothing in it. Just my 2c

Most reactions

New Topics

Back