Prints appearing half black -- why?

I am having the same problem I will post the pictures to show as well. I have a Nikon D90 and it seems from time to time half the picture is black. Has anyone experience this I am using a remote trigger and lighting system but the lighting system works well with my Canon 7D??

I am having the same problem I will post the pictures to show as well. I have a Nikon D90 and it seems from time to time half the picture is black. Has anyone experience this I am using a remote trigger and lighting system but the lighting system works well with my Canon 7D??
Welcome to the forum.
For future reference, you don't need to dig up old threads if you have a new question. Although, it is a good idea to read these older threads, as they can often answer your questions.

Your issue is almost certainly that you are exceeding your camera's max sync speed. The photos are half-black because the 2nd shutter curtain is starting to close before the exposure is over...thus, in the instant when the flash fires, the shutter is blocking part of the frame...and that part doesn't see any of the flashed light reflecting from the scene.

The solution is to keep your shutter speed under the max sync speed...which is probably 1/200 or 1/250. There may also be a slight delay introduced by the remote trigger, so I'd play it safe and use a shutter speed of 1/160 or longer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back