pro camera for a beginner

( east-to-use /no pre-adjustments required )
what i meant is that not a camera with alot of photo adjustments like a nikon i guess

There is no such thing as a pro camera with no pro adjustments.

Nikon cameras have just as many adjustments as other DSLR cameras.

It sounds like you want professional results with no effort at all. Well that's just not going to happen. There is a reason photographers have a saying. "You don't take a photo you make a photo"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like you want professional results with no effort at all.
If I may: He wants a camera that will produce better photographs than he can get (or has seen others make) by using a cell phone. People who are not shutterbugs nevertheless recognize that there is a difference in the finished product, regardless of how it is achieved. They know that a DSLR with interchangeable lenses will make better photographs, and that's what they want.

Personally, I have to give him credit for knowing the difference, and also being willing to spend up to $700 for better photographs. There are MANY people who fail to see any difference at all, or enough of a difference to spend hundreds of dollars to get it.

So what if he runs it on "full auto" for the first three years? No skin off my nose. I say "go for it", and good luck!

Why would a beginner want/need a 'Pro' camera?

Well duh if you have A "PRO" camera you don't have to learn all that stuff. It does it for you.:apathy:

So what if he runs it on "full auto" for the first three years? No skin off my nose. I say "go for it", and good luck!

Ding, ding, ding, winner! I have a good friend with a Canon that with lenses has conservatively 5k invested. Nothing but full auto, all settings either default or set by the camera store where he bought it. He's happy.

Why would a beginner want/need a 'Pro' camera?

Well duh if you have A "PRO" camera you don't have to learn all that stuff. It does it for you.:apathy:

Ding, ding, ding, winner! I have a good friend with a Canon that with lenses has conservatively 5k invested. Nothing but full auto, all settings either default or set by the camera store where he bought it. He's happy.

- yes, a "winner" !
I have a friend that bought $10,000 of Nikon camera gear. He used auto mode and thought his saturated artsy photos were 'pro' Flickr grade but he was never really satisfied with his pics.
Then he got a mirrorless camera ... and now he's happy

Last edited:
Let me offer a few thoughts:

1. There are tons of cameras out there (DSLRS) that you can shoot on program or auto mode so you're not having to make tons of adjustments. The very nature of a pro is that they understand they dynamics of shooting and their gear so that they ARE making tons of adjustments...changing ISO, adjusting shutter speed, swapping lens, changing exposure compensation, changing the white balance. You don't want to be doing that but want better pictures. That's do-able. Look at the Nikon 3xxx series. Inexpensive, capable of producing very good shots while on auto or program modes, light and small.

2. What is really going to make a difference is not the camera (b/c you're not looking to do 10 fps or shoot at 64,000 ISO). It will be the glass. And a pro photographer would tell you that among the equipment issues, glass trumps everything. So think about what type of shooting you're going to be doing primarily (landscape? Indoor in low light? Movement like...the family dog or rugrats? Street photography? Wildlife? Sports?) and get the best lens you can afford for that type of photography. As a general rule, you will want something that is sharp but also fast (so f2.8 or even better if you shoot in low light, macro or abstract work or portraits). And those are not kit lens that typically come with a camera you buy off the shelf so you'll often want to look at buying one used.

You've probably heard this B4, it's not the camera, it's the skill. But I'll take you up a notch in gear from a convenient cellphone (but which has zilch reach, speed, etc). Although I love my LG10. Anyway, I teach a class, and get that question allot, and would only recommend what I've used ... in that case, I need some 'reach' so it would be the Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. Why? Great reach at 25-400+mm -- so never buy another lens. Very nice 4K video. High speed burst shutter for sports and wildlife. Feels like a DSLR with a 1" sensor, rotating screen for selfies, WiFi, flash, totally auto (or manual) and much more ... but it won't fit in the pocket. That's a cellphone. But it's in your price range. Pick your poison. And add features that might take you up a notch if you choose in the future as you learn your skill. Practice and read. Oh ya, compact cameras are pretty much dead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

. Oh ya, compact cameras are pretty much dead.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Compact Cameras are awesome for vacations. I used an Olympus TG4 in my last vacation.
I used an RX1RII the year before. A few years prior I used my iPhone4S. Before that I had a Lumix LX5
P1000384.jpg

Lumix LX5

IMG_0882.jpg

iPhone 4S

P4110175.jpg

Olympus TG4

My advice: Learn your photography first.
Compacts are fine. They've gotten a lot better but they're not inexpensive.
Forget about going pro.
When you're good enough to go pro, you'll know what camera to get.
DSC02023.jpg

RX1R II (at ISO 6400)

IMG_1002.jpg

Canon G5X

what i meant is that not a camera with a lot of photo adjustments like a Nikon i guess
Here: Nikon D5300

Flippy screen, Wi-Fi, set it to "auto" and snap away.
The WiFi on the earlier Nikon models like the 5300 is not that great, and not something I could recommend if it is a key feature for someone. The 5600 has NFC and Bluetooth which I think will work much easier if someone is looking for that easy connectivity to their phone.

Hello,

There are no such PRO camera. If you are a beginner than try to learn photography and its aspects first which will help you to get better shots.

Keep in mind that some Pro cameras (specifically the Nikons) have NO AUTO, no Effects, no Scene modes. Only PSAM modes.

With the lack of the "beginner" features it leaves it up to the photographer to know how to control the camera to get the final results. No crutch here to let you learn "stuff" first.

Also, since it allows more flexibility it also seems to be more burdensome to some of the simplier features of the lower cameras.

Right now at Nikon and several retailers. You can get a Nikon D5500 and 2 lenses for $700. This has what you need. It has auto modes, and when you learn more has ability for the photographer to take more control. It has the fold out tilting monitor so if you want to use it at different angles (or video). Built in Wifi, and full HD video.

OP to meet most of your specifications this or this are the only things you will find and neither will have wifi. You would be better off buying a simple point & shoot or get serious and LEARN PHOTOGRAPHY. This would be a good place to start. Digital Photography Tutorials

Most reactions

Back