PROJECT52

Downy Woodpecker - 44/52
by FourB Photography, on Flickr

I haven't been out for a walk birding in quite a few weeks, so I went to a regional park that I haven't spent much time in to see if I could find a new species to shoot. I chased this guy around for about 20 mins waiting for the light to improve but it was mostly overcast and the trees were fairly thick despite losing a lot of their leaves.

I'm happy with how it turned out overall and that I was able to get close enough with the 70-200.

Dalton - 45/52

Healer for Jesus, Bernard Ave., Kelowna, B.C.

I met Dalton on my way for lunch this week. He asked for some change and I asked him if I could do a portrait in exchange. We spent about ten minutes talking and taking a few shots. He told me he was a healer for Jesus, shook my hand and told me everything will be OK.

Cooper's Hawk - 46/52

Went out to an area today that is known to have owls, but I haven't seen any now in two trips. But, I did spot this hawk that was sitting on a tree limb not ten feet above the trail and adjacent to a little rise beside the trail that I was able to go up slightly and get a shot straight across. Even though he was only 40 feet away from me, I still had to crop a little in post with the 70-200mm.

The sun light couldn't have been better though and he couldn't have been positioned any better.

Kingfisher 7/52 by FourB Photography, on Flickr

I had spotted this male Belted Kingfisher a few times near Lake Okanagan but was never able to get a decent photo. I visited the same location a few times this week trying to finally capture him. This is the result. Unfortunately he was in the shade but I am fairly happy with how it turned out.

Cropped from original with adjustments in LR.

You should be happy with that shot. Kingfishers are, to me, one of the toughest birds to shoot...hands down.

Bear Creek - 46/52

Some friends and I went for a hike in Bear Creek Provicial Park this week. I'd never been and have heard that the falls are nice in the summer so I thought this would be a good opportunity to scout the area for next year. Everything was mostly frozen, even though it hasn't been that cold yet.

I liked the texture in the rocks mixed with the ice and moving water beneath it in this scene.

Converted to black and white in Nik Silver Efex Pro 2.

Bear Creek - 46/52

Some friends and I went for a hike in Bear Creek Provicial Park this week. I'd never been and have heard that the falls are nice in the summer so I thought this would be a good opportunity to scout the area for next year. Everything was mostly frozen, even though it hasn't been that cold yet.

I liked the texture in the rocks mixed with the ice and moving water beneath it in this scene.

Converted to black and white in Nik Silver Efex Pro 2.

Really enjoy the textures on this one. I do wish the whites were a bit brighter though. Still, a solid conversion!

Really enjoy the textures on this one. I do wish the whites were a bit brighter though. Still, a solid conversion!

Thanks. I think I'm afraid to blow out the whites on a shot like this so I end up underexposing them a little bit.

Thanks. I think I'm afraid to blow out the whites on a shot like this so I end up underexposing them a little bit.
Better to underexpose and raise in post a tad then to overexpose, so good logic there. The should could really benefit from a bit of sharpening and selective dodging/burning to show off that cracked ice. Here's a 3 minute edit, hoping that's ok based on your ok to edit setting.

Original:

Bear Creek - 46/52

Edit:

Hardy Falls - 48/52

I ran into a couple other local photogs while I was out shooting this location this week. They told me that two days prior, the falls had been completely frozen over which is what I was anticipating any ways. I'm glad that they weren't!

I think the running water mixed with ice just adds to the composition.

I wanted to capture the whole scene and not just focus in on the falls themselves. The mix of snow covered and bare rocks really added to the scene and I think the black and white really brings out the detail in every thing.

Cool project, I just stumbled across it for the first time but read through it all. I think your first shot still may be the strongest of the entire series but it was interesting to see how you went from one area of interest to another. Well done :headbang:

Cool project, I just stumbled across it for the first time but read through it all. I think your first shot still may be the strongest of the entire series but it was interesting to see how you went from one area of interest to another. Well done :headbang:

Thank you.

I'm a big fan of the first shot too, but I thought that was more sentimental than anything.

The train set is probably another of my favorites.

Most reactions

Back