Question about MACRO photography!!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Stormchase, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Stormchase

Stormchase No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I love nature and bug shots with my 90mm macro. Im very happy with the lens... but I long for more and I have been thinking about ideas for future purchases. I have been looking to get shots like #1 and #2 on this link here:
    80 Stunning Examples Of Macro Photography | Inspiration | instantShift

Now I have heard of microscope photography, would this be it on a minor level? doubt it but i have hear of shooting insects this way. how would I go about getting a shot like this? (equipment wise)What would you think was used to get this close? I have been looking at a +2.0 tele before i saw this www.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  2. Stormchase

Photos OK to edit
    Any thoughts?

3. DaevidClarke

DaevidClarke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i think its literally a stereoscope attachment. ive seen pics of a camera and its lens sitting on top of a microscope, but ive only ever seen this with older 35s; havent seen new ones. could be wrong tho.

[​IMG]

4. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

I think with the MPE-65mm, you got 5X the life size. I guess I will wait for Overread to chime in.

In the meantime, search "MPE-65mm" in flickr will yield some result. Of course, lighting is important. And focus stacking maybe helpful as well.

5. Aayria

Aayria TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    GAH! Somebody needs to post a warning on that link NOT to view it right after breakfast.....

6. benlonghair

benlonghair TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Heh, i was gonna recommend you check out Paul Licht (stuntbear) on flickr, but I see some of his work is included.

I know for a fact that he crops the shiat out of his images. Still amazing as hell.

7. Stormchase

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Dao!
    yes yes yes yes ! It looks like the MPE-65mm. Wow spectacular is all i have to say!!
    Im in love lol. I never hear about this lens untill now. Close to 1k for the lens but OMG the image quality and what the images look like! It will sit on a wish list for now.
    With that said , and i really doubt this, but it there a cheaper way lol?? I was even thinking of a magnifying glass but i just need to get closer!

8. Stormchase

Photos OK to edit
    lol sorry :)

9. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I'm almost willing to bet that that first shot is one of Dalentechs- certainly looks similar to his work
    No Cropping Zone

No cropping (or focus stacking) in his set - those are single exposures from the camera!

Suffice to say the standard lens for this work is the Canon MPE 65mm macro lens - however it is one of the hardest lenses to learn to use and to use well takes a lot of practise (I am by no means even close to this).
    I would however say before you get the MPE do try out some methods for getting greater than 1:1 magnification from your 90mm lens first. I say this because it really is a lot harder and for some it just proves to be too hard. A set of Kenko AF extension tubes, a 1.4 teleconverter and a raynox diopter (I used a DCR 250) are all things you can use to give yourself more magnifiaction from your current macro lens without breaking the bank on the MPE.

Also for any interested the MPE is certainly not the only (nor infact the best - in terms of sharpness and resolution) method you can use.

Flickr: johnhallmen's Photostream

This guy does a lot of highmagnification work and details many of his setups in his flickr and its well worth a read for any interested in this area.

10. Dao

11. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    hey I was... on my lunch break!

And Juza misses out one important "limitation" of the MPE - and that is that it starts at 1:1 macro. This might sound good, but it can be quite limiting at time with larger insects and flowers in the field. So even if you do get the MPE a regular macro lens still very much has a place in your working setup.

12. Dao