Question about portrait photography...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senor Hound

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What sort of lens (mm wise) do you NORMALLY use for portrait photography, and how far away are you usually from your subject? The reason I ask is I am an aspiring portrait photographer (very long way away from being one), and I want to know kind of what the sweet spot is mm wise for a digital camera (1.5 sensor). Do you usually find yourself shooting between like 50-100? I'm looking at a lens combo (like 18-55 and 55-200), but I don't want a setup that's going to make me have to swtich back and forth between two lenses all of the time. I also know a prime lens (like a 50 or an 85) is what true professionals use, but for amateur, fun work (photos of cute girls in my class, my nephews, etc.), what would be a good lens?

I also tried looking under the post of "great portraiture techniques" but I didn't find anything like this.

The usual focal lengths are between 50 and 80mm for a 35mm camera. An 18-55mm lens on a 1.5 camera will do the job quite nicely.

But remember, you can take a portrait with any lens.

I like using a telephoto. I really like my 18-200 at about 150ish because it compress' the features and keeps everything from getting out of perportion.

I also have the 50mm f/1.8 that I use for portraits. I love it! Very fast lens!

I've heard good things about the 85mm also.

I use a 50mm 1.8 but im hoping to invest in the 85mm

The 50mm 1.8 is sharp as heck and you can't beat the price. I think you should get this lens before any other and keep practicing. (Also, with a prime you can spend more time mastering composition and exposure without also being tempted to fiddle with focal length).

It really depends on the amount of area you have to work and the conditions. My favorite is either an 85mm or a 100mm lens. The characteristics of those lenses are my favorite. They tend to keep facial features nicely compressed where wide lenses will exaggerate them a bit. If you do not have that kind of room to work then the 50 is good. Try to stay away from anything below 35mm unless you are looking for that exaggerated look.

I like using a telephoto. I really like my 18-200 at about 150ish because it compress' the features and keeps everything from getting out of perportion.

First off do not buy this junk lens if you are going to spend $600+ there are alot better portrait lenses to spend your money on. The focal length you use for portraits depends on your own personal style. Portrait photographers use the entire range of lenses that are available to them it all depends on what they like to use and the demands of a particular client.

^^ curious why you say it's junk... just for this one purpose? Or in general.

Anyway, back in my AE1 days I had a 100mm lense that someone actually told me was a "portrait lense". It really was AMAZING for taking pictures of people... something perfect about it and I never knew why. This was way back when I had absolutely no idea what I was doing (vs just basically no idea like now) lol

I always wondered why it seemed such a good lense for this... thought maybe one of you may have some insight. (not to snag the thread, but it may be relevant to the original question)

^^ curious why you say it's junk... just for this one purpose? Or in general.

i'm curious too, i know that it isn't the best choice for portraits but i find nothing wrong with it at all

i'm curious too, i know that it isn't the best choice for portraits but i find nothing wrong with it at all

Perhaps cause he has a 70-200 2.8. In comparison it may very well suck. But IMO its one of the best superzooms made. Plus, certain review said the VR works better on it than on other lenses with VR (must have really nailed the engineering on it).

Thanks to everyone for the answers, but I still feel confused. I think its because there isn't a true answer to my question. I guess I'll just have to find out what sort of portrait photographer I am (close or distant), and go from there.

Thanks to everyone for the answers, but I still feel confused. I think its because there isn't a true answer to my question. I guess I'll just have to find out what sort of portrait photographer I am (close or distant), and go from there.
You nailed it. I use a 50/1.4, 85/1.8 or 180/2.8 dependant upon the conditons that call for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back