Question re: travel rates

Reaction score
Website
www.ikandiphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A client recently contacted us to shoot a wedding that will be 3.5 hours away. She plans on covering our hotel stay so that we can stay overnight. How much extra should we charge for something like this? I have never traveled before but was wondering if i charge hourly for the drive and do i charge for the fact that we are having to stay overnight? Thanks for your suggestions!!

I think you're better off doing a flat fee for being on the road. It's usually called a per diem. This way you're not checking your watch all the time. Plus it will give you more control when to shoot unrelated to the major events (ceremony, family shots, bouquet, cake, etc.) You might get some good candids leading to more print sales.

I think you're better off doing a flat fee for being on the road. It's usually called a per diem. This way you're not checking your watch all the time. Plus it will give you more control when to shoot unrelated to the major events (ceremony, family shots, bouquet, cake, etc.) You might get some good candids leading to more print sales.

Thanks for responding! Im so clueless when it comes to what to charge for this. So basically charge a flat rate on top of my regular Wedding package? I dont want to overcharge them..but I also don't want to screw myself.

Do what I did for a wedding I'll be shooting in Vegas.

Normal hourly rate, plus processing, blah, blah, blah.

Airfare, plus lodging. Or in your case, take your mileage, find out how much gas is gonna cost, average, for there and back. Then add 10% for wear and tear to your car.
And if you are gonna need food and other stuff like that, charge a flat day rate for per diem, depending on where you will be. Like for my trip, I'm going $100 a day for a three day shoot. If it were somewhere else less expensive, I'd go less.

My policy is/was to charge for travel on anything outside of 100km (one hour drive) away from my city. I estimated the distance to the destination and used a per km rate to come up with a figure. I would then add a per diem for having to eat out and lodgings (if not already covered). I'd add it all up and add it to the package as a travel charge.

That being said, more than a few photographers around here are expanding their 'and area'. We have a large 'sister city' that is a three hour drive to the south and I know a few photographers who charge the same for jobs in either city.
This policy can open up your client area.

You obviously don't want to loose money, so maybe just raise your prices overall to make up for it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back