Runway models

Sideburns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok well here's the pictures I promised some earlier in another thread.
My girlfriend is a model...so I thought I'd practice on that..

was REALLY hard. they were walking towards the lights...so as they got closer, they were more and more overexposed...even when I underexposed drastically...so I tried to figure it out the best I could. Also, it was hard to get the girls exactly where I wanted because they walk REALLY fast. When there's more than one girl goin...you have your work cut out for you...lol.

Anyways...this is what I got that I ended up liking.

52_MG_260520071104.jpg

52_MG_261920071104.jpg

52_MG_263720071104.jpg

52_MG_263820071104.jpg

52_MG_266720071104.jpg

52_MG_266820071104.jpg

52_MG_266920071104.jpg

52_MG_269220071104.jpg

The blond girl is my girlfriend....she really did look amazing, but I don't think the pictures could quite capture the attitude she gave off, and the energy she was radiating. It's too bad, because the whole place roared...I wish I could have captured that emotion in a picture for her.

all comments and feedback welcome. I know they aren't that great...but I'd still like to hear what you have to say.

Poor girl in 3 and 4. That dress was NOT flattering to her legs! At all!

I did a children's charity runway shoot last month and I know exactly what you're talking about with the lighting! Before the shoot, I had one of the organizers stand at the end of the runway and I took a few photos there to get the right exposure. Then, during the event, I waited until the models got to that point and took the pictures. :)

You did really well, considering this was your first time shooting a runway. I like the pose in #8. Too bad that guy was right there.

Marian

Poor girl in 3 and 4. That dress was NOT flattering to her legs! At all!

I did a children's charity runway shoot last month and I know exactly what you're talking about with the lighting! Before the shoot, I had one of the organizers stand at the end of the runway and I took a few photos there to get the right exposure. Then, during the event, I waited until the models got to that point and took the pictures. :)

You did really well, considering this was your first time shooting a runway. I like the pose in #8. Too bad that guy was right there.

Marian

Well I was just rattling off as many shots as I could...but I did expose for the center of the runway to get the most shots possible. Only problem there was that there was usually a few girls meeting in the middle...so it wasn't that great of a photograph.

I agree with the pose in the one with the guy there...he was just walking out...but my camera stopped shooting and lagged about .5 seconds till the next shot...and she was turned around already.

What's with the green in pic #4?

Great series though :D

What's with the green in pic #4?

Great series though :D

They had lights set up by the stage flashing different coloured lights around the room to give off that "omg I'm on E at a rave!" feel for the whole crowd..lol. You know. Way too many special effects, and not enough soft lighting.

Thanks for the kind words, and for being gentle...lol

The lighting here is terrible (not your fault), but some parts did blow out a bit in the shots. I agree with WildMaven about that dress.

I would suggest focusing higher. Granted, fashion shows are about the clothing and not the models, but I would never focus on clothing at the expense of the face.

The lighting here is terrible (not your fault), but some parts did blow out a bit in the shots. I agree with WildMaven about that dress.

I would suggest focusing higher. Granted, fashion shows are about the clothing and not the models, but I would never focus on clothing at the expense of the face.

Yes, that's exactly my thoughts. You'd think a "professional company" would have nice lighthing...however, this was not the case...and they aren't professional at all...they just convince their customers they are...lol.

I also agree about the dress. This girl was really cute, and actually I thought her legs were very attractive, but the dress kind of ruins it and hides her (most likely) nice hips and body lines.

Mostly the focus was trying to be on the model, but I was trying to get their "stance" in the pics...I was going for a dramatic look. I suppose if I had more opportunities I could practice different ways to photograph the runway....but this was my first shot so I didn't really know what I wanted...or where they girls were going to be walking.

There are two options for dealing with the focus. One is to use an AF mode (if your camera has it...I'm not super familiar with DSLR's) geared toward moving objects, such as a servo mode, and aim high. The second, and better option IMO is to focus manually if you're not already doing it. It will allow you to avoid problems such as the dress being in focus but not the face. Also, the lighting here is pretty atypical of fashion show lighting. The lighting at your average show, while even, is also very low. As such, your AF will tend to have a hard time focusing, particularly if the object is moving.

There are two options for dealing with the focus. One is to use an AF mode (if your camera has it...I'm not super familiar with DSLR's) geared toward moving objects, such as a servo mode, and aim high. The second, and better option IMO is to focus manually if you're not already doing it. It will allow you to avoid problems such as the dress being in focus but not the face. Also, the lighting here is pretty atypical of fashion show lighting. The lighting at your average show, while even, is also very low. As such, your AF will tend to have a hard time focusing, particularly if the object is moving.

Yes, I was using AI-Servo simply because they were moving very fast and I didn't feel like manually focusing and complaining later about how none of them turned out lol.

Yes, the lighting was (while bright enough to get exposures) quite awful, and atypical of a regular fashion show. Hopefully if I get to another one the lighting will be more uniform. Hopefully by then I'll also have a faster telephoto.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back