scum of the earth

foned

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
some total low life broke into my car and stole my camera sometime over the weekend.. im really pissed right now.

admittedly its a bad idea to store my camera in my car, however, i do live in a decent neighborhood, my camera isnt worth *that* much (~$400) my car has an alarm and working locks and windows, anyway, i just ended up leaving my camera in my car in case i ever needed it while i was away from home, and im usually really good about locking it and setting the alarm every time i get out, however at some point i forgot to do that and here i am.

It should be covered under either your car insurance or home owners insurance. Well... I guess unless you have like a $500 deductible or something I guess that wouldn't help you...

If I leave my gear in the car it's always in the trunk and in a plain black bag.

Unfortunately it is not possible anymore to leave such things in the car. Some friends of mine also happened the same. I am of the opinion that this is really annoying, that you cannot leave something in the car. In this case does the insurance cover the damage? I am not quite sure but I think that a US car insurance would no cover the full damage. Would be interesting to know how this works in the UK.

Car Insurance wont do anything for something not bolte down. Wont be covered.
The only thing that would cover it would be either home owners insurance or Renters Insurance. SOrry to hear man.......

Sorry you lost your gear, that sucks!

But...

'I live in a good neighborhood'
Do people think thieves want to rob bad neighborhoods? Sorry, but this line is in about every 'my gear got stolen' thread I've read lately.

1. The thief is the bad guy, I hope he/she gets caught.
2. You were irresponsible, learn from it so it doesn't happen again.

There's no such thing as a place where nobody will get your stuff... Statistically speaking, chances are it's someone you know.

Never leave anything in the car, no matter how insignificant it is. When I lived in Detroit, I was told not to leave anything visible especially small changes. The homeless guys WILL break your window to get it. To them, a quarter is a quarter. Your car window doesn't cost anything to them. If they get caught, they will have shelter for the night.

In the 6 years I lived in Detroit, nothing ever happened to my car. Conversely, I have had my car keyed and broken into when parked IN THE DRIVE WAY in very nice and safe neighborhoods in other parts of the country. You just never know, so don't take the chance. If you need to leave anything in the car, put them in the trunk.

The only thing that would cover it would be either home owners insurance or Renters Insurance. SOrry to hear man.......

I know with Geico, Allstate and Nationwide they cover stolen property in the base full coverage policy. I've unfortunately tested both Geico and Allstate. They even covered about $200 worth of CDs as well as about $1000 worth of camera gear, mp3 player... one of those times my phone.

Just depends on the insurance. I can say though, if a policy didn't cover property theft... there is no way I would pay for that policy.

I know with Geico, Allstate and Nationwide they cover stolen property in the base full coverage policy. I've unfortunately tested both Geico and Allstate. They even covered about $200 worth of CDs as well as about $1000 worth of camera gear, mp3 player... one of those times my phone.

Just depends on the insurance. I can say though, if a policy didn't cover property theft... there is no way I would pay for that policy.

Car Insurance does not cover property that is not bolted to the car. I have never seen a policy that will cover unbolted items. All the items you listed would be covered under home owners insurance.

Here is a clip from an article about this subject.
If a crook breaks into your vehicle, auto insurance covers all the losses, right? Not necessarily. If personal items are stolen from inside your vehicle, car insurance will not cover you-you'll need to file a home insurance claim to recoup your losses.

Here's how it works: The comprehensive portion of your auto insurance policy covers theft of items that are permanently built into the vehicle, like a car stereo or GPS device. Damage to the vehicle itself, including glass breakage, is also covered by auto insurance. What auto insurance won't cover, however, is theft of personal items from your vehicle.

That's where home insurance comes into play.

Home insurance will cover the theft of items that aren't part of the vehicle itself, like cell phones, purses and baseball equipment. If your policy includes off premises theft coverage, your items will be covered even if your car isn't parked at home.

What Auto Insurance Covers:
Car Stereo
Built-in GPS

What Home Insurance Covers:
CDs
Golf clubs
Cell phone
Child's car seat

Where it gets tricky, though, is when your car is stolen. The comprehensive portion of your auto insurance policy will cover your stolen vehicle, but how about your personal items? Will you need to file an auto and home insurance claim to recover both your vehicle and possessions?

.......I do not believe that your car insurance covered all the items you stated. I have been writting insurance for almost 4 years and have yet to see a car company that will cover unbolted items.

Just for kicks...I called agents for all three of the companies listed... None of them have any auto policies that will cover unboted items. Only renters insurance and home owners will cover it.

Last edited:
You also live in a different state. Each company's comprehensive policy is different. It also varies by state. I can guarantee they didn't replace $2000 worth or personal items out of the goodness of their heart.

My husband lost his when he left it in the car for 20 minutes while out with his folks. He told them to grab it, they haddn't. It was taken.

People will take anything from anyone anywhere if they know there's even the slightest possibility they'll get lucky with a find that day.

Sorry dude!!

Maybe treat yourself to something bigger and more awesomererer!

^^^^Your special^^^^

I doubt it. It'd be sweet if I was. I think it's just standard in at least Pennsylvania. Also... while reading through my policy and a few others on Geico and State Farm's it appears in PA your stereo is not covered but you can buy extra coverage for that... seems kinda backwards.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back