Shooting Strangers with tact - Photojournalism

i think one of the better ways to shoot a street scene that involves people is to use your zoom lens. that way you wouldnt have to get so close to the subject so you can catch them in their natural environment.

While these would allow you to photograph people discreetly, they definitely aren't substitutes for the images Gilden is able to produce. His results are a direct result of his technique, and I think the images are unique and instantly recognizable.

If you think you can do this with a 300mm lens or one of those ridiculous right angle things, well, good luck.

technique? im sorry but jumping out in front of someone that is walking down the street and just snaping a photo is technique now? i dunno ive seen SNAPSHOTS use this same technique ;) hey im not saying he doesnt have good photos cause he does im just saying dont excuse being an ass as technique

I think basically the meaner the city, the better. Everyone's used to asshole's in a city like that, so they just continue on. If you were in my city, Auckland, New Zealand, and in a particular district, you'd probably get your jaw broken or at least get roughed up.

The busier the better, so I guess the 9 o'clock rush is the best time to do it, if you plan to do this.

normally what i do, is get the picture and then approach the person and tell them "im photographer and i would like to know if i can use this picture i took of you" show them the picture and then get an email addy so i can send it to them

man that video makes me tempted to try that out when I visit New York next month... gotta see if I can get a friend to let me borrow a DSLR

Also there are many ways to get shots without getting in someones face like that. One way would be a telephoto lens the other would be a contraption like this

Super Secret Spy Lens | Uncrate

A telephoto lens is a quick and easy path to crappy street photos.

And the truth is you would not hit someone back if they did that. Very very few people would. If you go out with a camera and shoot on a busy street like that, most of the people there won't notice you, or pay any attention to you. I'm not a huge fan of Gliden's work though, because by intruding into the person's space, he is changing the scene, no longer "telling the truth" in the same sense. But he's not trying to do that, he's creating images that express what he feels and thinks.

Here's a random example-- not my favorite shot but a good example of just how close you can get.
356978184_9R68a-M.jpg

I don't get to shoot in the city much, so when I do I usually find I need a day or two to "warm up"-- one way I do that is by limiting myself to shorter lenses so that I don't get lazy and zoom. Often I'll have all pretty middling stuff then one afternoon the light will hit just right and people will be out and everything will click.

Last edited:
While these would allow you to photograph people discreetly, they definitely aren't substitutes for the images Gilden is able to produce. His results are a direct result of his technique, and I think the images are unique and instantly recognizable.

If you think you can do this with a 300mm lens or one of those ridiculous right angle things, well, good luck.

My question is: Why would I want to? I see nothing appealing about his images whatsoever. If a student handed in images like those to me, I'd tell her/him to go back and try again. Obviously, I'm in the minority, as many people seem to like his work, and he can afford some very nice gear, BUT, other than a gift for not getting injured, I'm not sure that I would call this technique.

I dont disagree however it is also not my style. As I said if he pulled that **** with me his camera would be broken and his eye would be black. He is lucky that to this point its not already.

I suppose it is a technique of sorts but not one that I would be inspired to try and recreate.

I'm with you tirediron. I don't understand the "street photography" thing at all. They are just images of random people that mean absolutely nothing to either the photographer or the viewer. Just boring images of random people.

Especially with this guy being discussed in this thread. Folks talk about "emotion" with street photography. There's no emotion of some random dude walking down the street. Most of the images I viewed on this guy's site are just terrible showing either blank emotion or absolute surprise from some jack*** jumping up in front of their face with a camera.

I too am surprised this guy hasn't gotten his head knocked off. I think that would be my first involuntary reaction if he did it to me, to swing.

Also there are many ways to get shots without getting in someones face like that. One way would be a telephoto lens the other would be a contraption like this

Super Secret Spy Lens | Uncrate

Yes but you don't get the same impact, he has been doing this for years, here's another that uses a small lens, the best street photographer ever only used a 28mm lens (Garry Winnogrand)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dipTqJfiE4]YouTube - Joel Meyerowitz On Street Photography[/ame]

I havn't shot much street photography, but i think after this thread i'm going to have to get some in your face stuff, this is the nearest ive got

401431531_J7rmG-L.jpg

400877865_m38i5-L.jpg

400878056_UoUTj-L.jpg

A telephoto lens is a quick and easy path to crappy street photos.

And the truth is you would not hit someone back if they did that. Very very few people would. If you go out with a camera and shoot on a busy street like that, most of the people there won't notice you, or pay any attention to you. I'm not a huge fan of Gliden's work though, because by intruding into the person's space, he is changing the scene, no longer "telling the truth" in the same sense. But he's not trying to do that, he's creating images that express what he feels and thinks.

Here's a random example-- not my favorite shot but a good example of just how close you can get.
356978184_9R68a-M.jpg

I don't get to shoot in the city much, so when I do I usually find I need a day or two to "warm up"-- one way I do that is by limiting myself to shorter lenses so that I don't get lazy and zoom. Often I'll have all pretty middling stuff then one afternoon the light will hit just right and people will be out and everything will click.

Great shot i like it :thumbup:

Just a quick question for those of you who have done street photography, what setting do you you shoot in? I'm thinking of doing it when i head back to NYC in a couple of weeks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back