Should I buy this or that?

clintd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For a beginner with aspirations of becoming a professional wedding photographer, should I buy:

1. New Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS with kit lens (EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS) - Total $500

OR

2. Used Canon EOS 30D (body only) and a Used [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-28-135mm-3-5-5-6-Standard-Cameras/dp/B00006I53S/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274372505&sr=8-6"]Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6[/ame] lens. Total $560

If wedding photography is where you want to go, invest early in the best you can afford.

Your gear will limit how much you can learn when you reach a certain point, and you will have to upgrade either one of those camera when you're ready for weddings anyway.

If possible, I'd encourage you to save a bit more and invest in a better model than either of those.. I don't know much about cannons or I'd suggest a speciffic one. If weddings really are where you want to go, at least try to make it a full frame sensor.

If the only choices are those, I'd go with the 30D
If you can swing it, a 40D is a nice upgrade over the 30D (while the 50 is only somewhat of an upgrade on the 40).

I would skip the Rebel line altogether IF you have plans on pushing this further.

Clint
Something to think about.
Would you want the person taking keepsake wedding photos to have invested $500 in their equipment.
I understand you mention you are new, but think about this for a moment.

The equipment may be a good starting point, do not forget to spend some time and $$ educating yourself as well.

Thanks guys. I was definitely leaning toward the used 30D. Although, I might try to bump up to at least the 40D. My intention would be to eventually upgrade to a full frame sensor, and then be able to use the 30D or 40D as my back-up body.

And, of course I know it will take a good bit of time and money to get to the point of photographing weddings. But, I always like to think and plan ahead. Thanks again all!

The girl who photographed my wedding had at least 3 5dMkII bodies and every canon L lens between 16mm and 200mm. If you showed up to photograph my wedding with anything less than a 7d, I'd send you home.

But then again, 99% of people hiring wedding photographers don't know the difference between a Rebel xsi and a 5dmkII or an L lens and a kit lens. Just sayin'. :)

30d every time. Although to be honest that lens is not ideal for a crop body sensor.

I'd find a used 40d (they are an awesome deal these days and don't cost much more than a 30d) and find a more suitable lens, possibly something like the 17-85 IS or the new 15-85 or 18-135. On a 1.6x body you really need that wide end, 28mm just won't cut it in a lot of cases.

Sad but true.
Why? All the B&G should have to care about is the images, not the equipment used to make them.

Maybe it's just me, but I like to make informed decisions... That usually involves educating myself on at least a basic level about what I am doing. I wouldn't hire someone who uses a garden spade to dig a canal... I'd find someone who has the right equipment.

My wedding photographer showed up with a medium format Hasselblad film camera. It's all about your level. As you progress your equipment can progress. I wouldn't spend $8k on a body for your first shoot. But I wouldn't show up with a 5000d either, which is a low level Nikon. The 5DMK2 sounds like a good camera to show up with I think it's like $2500 with a lens.

I prefer the EOS XXD series than EOS XXXD / Rebel series. I used both cameras back and fro (40D and XTi) and it is more convenience in the XXD series because of the top display and 2 control wheels.

Of course, at the end, not much different as far as the image concern.

As for the wedding photographer using a lower end camera gears. If his/her portfolio shows that he/she can do a great job with his/her photography equipments, it is fine with me.

I know when I got married, we didn't know or care what kind of equipment the photographer used, and wouldn't know the difference if we did. We cared about the final pp'd product. If that turned out great, then whatever. (Ironically, we were disappointed in the final product.) But for someone that does know the difference between a consumer level dslr and a pro dslr, it's definitely going to label you as rank amateur to show up with a consumer grade camera and lens.

You could always get a consumer level and tape a bunch of random electronic-looking gadgets to it to make it look more hi-tech. :greenpbl:

Most reactions

Back