Should i upgrade?

It sounded better when it was said innocently.

:hail:

That lens has beautiful out-of-focus blur.

let's see you really put it to use and get a sharp, isolated photo of your little hammy.

Once my D600 arrives, I'm fairly certain I'm going to pick up a 50mm 1.4D.

I have not used any other lenses with high apertures, but i like the bokeh on this lens.

I shot at 1.4:

V6CAWoJ.jpg

nice shot - nice round bokeh balls
did you notice the shallow DOF
as you move back from his nose it gets OOF, such as his ears.

That's something unavoidable. I took a shot slightly closer but my focus cant focus that close so its out of focus. I like this shot. This is as close as my lens will focus.

Yes - but it's not from how close you were.
The shallow DOF is because you used f/1.4. Thus the depth of focus cannot get the entire depth of his head in focus.
If you used, say, 2.8 the entire depth of his head would be in focus.

I tried that, but the background became more visible as i closed my aperture.

Shooting @ F1.4 is a completely artistic decision and never useful to me. I almost never shoot lower than F2.8-F4 due to how much is out of focus and that's on DX (when shooting people). If the eyes are not in focus, the image is garbage 99% of the time, in my opinion, of course.

that's the give and take of DOF.
Did you try farther away where you would have to crop to get a head shot? to see the DOF / bokeh ?

Shooting @ F1.4 is a completely artistic decision and never useful to me. I almost never shoot lower than F2.8-F4 due to how much is out of focus and that's on DX (when shooting people). If the eyes are not in focus, the image is garbage 99% of the time, in my opinion, of course.

I don't disagree, i'm still learning to find my middle ground, but i will go to the extremes of the lens if there is a certain way i want my shot to look.

that's the give and take of DOF.
Did you try farther away where you would have to crop to get a head shot? to see the DOF / bokeh ?

The reason why i wanted to get a shot as close as i could is because the background gets more and more out of focus. But to answer you question: yes, i have taken several shots with different lenses even at all angles and distances. I just like this shot, but i still have to fine tune my skills. A speedlight could helped me get my eliminate the shadows on the face, my on camera flash is completely blocked by my lens and has officially become completely useless.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back