Should i upgrade?

hamlet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The nikkor 50mm 1.4g is going on a big sale tomorrow so price is not of concern, i am currently using the nikkor 18-55mm vr that has a maximum aperture of 3.5. I'm not sure if i should upgrade? The 18-55 already covers my basic photography, in buying the 50mm 1.4g it would only be for the large aperture. I'm having second thoughts because i've learned how my lens works, so i'm split down the middle. Should i buy the 50mm 1.4g?

qaL8Lux.jpg

Last edited:
The 50/1.8 G-series focuses faster than the 50/1.4 G, and is optically very close in quality. How much could you get a 50/1.8 G for?

The 50/1.8 G-series focuses faster than the 50/1.4 G, and is optically very close in quality. How much could you get a 50/1.8 G for?

The differences in price is negligible between the 1.8 and the 1.4 due to the sale. The 1.8 costs 230usd.

The sale is not for another day so i'll just sleep on it, because there have been times where i wished i could use larger apertures, of course i would lose the zoom. But what's more important? Bigger aperture or zoom?

Last edited:

The differences in price is negligible between the 1.8 and the 1.4 due to the sale. The 1.8 costs 230usd.

The sale is not for another day so i'll just sleep on it, because there have been times where i wished i could use larger apertures, of course i would lose the zoom. But what's more important? Bigger aperture or zoom?

What would the 1.4G cost? you can always zoom with your feet...

About the same price as the 1.8g.

The second or third lens typically bought after the initial kit lens, is the 50mm lens. The G series lenses had not come out when I was in the market and the price difference between the f/1.4 & f/1.8 was vast enough to make the decision much easier. Although I don't use it very much nowadays, it still has it's uses.

The nikkor 50mm 1.4g is going on a big sale tomorrow so price is not of concern, i am currently using the nikkor 18-55mm vr that has a maximum aperture of 3.5. I'm not sure if i should upgrade? The 18-55 already covers my basic photography, in buying the 50mm 1.4g it would only be for the large aperture. I'm having second thoughts because i've learned how my lens works, so i'm split down the middle. Should i buy the 50mm 1.4g?

Let's just save everyone a whole ton of time. No.

I have your answers. Tomorrow i'll let you know if i've made my mind up.

My bet: No purchase will be made...

That's because before i didn't understand everything very well. Now it will be because i realized that all you really need is a functioning camera.

if the 1.4 is the same price as the 1.8 then buy the 1.4
unless you want the 1.8
but neither will zoom as it's a fixed focal length
unless you count using your feet, or swaying your body, or using your arms .. technically of course.

maybe we need a Poll ?
or a Pole

I dropped that darn blue pill ...

I was in your shoes and I bought the 50mm 1.4D and at night your are truly thankful for the BIG aperture.

I say YES buy the lens, the price is simply too good and if you decide you don't want this lens I am sure you will be able to sell this lens for more then you bought it so it will be a win/win situation.

If you will not get it and in the future will wish you did you will kick yourself you didn't.
The way I see it this is a no brainer, price is too good and the 50mm 1.4G is in such a demand in the second hand market you will be able to sell it if you will want in a day.

I have your answers. Tomorrow i'll let you know if i've made my mind up.
Unacceptable reply from the OP. Four replies and a decision do not make a reasoned state of mind unless the decision has already been made regardless of any potential replies.

I dropped that darn blue pill ...
Consult your physician within the next four hours if needed. The warning has merit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back