Shutter Count?

jamiebonline

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It seems really hard to get a shutter count for the 5D mark ii or I am not good with computers. Would anyone be so kind and let me send you a recently taken pic with the camera so you can read it? Surely one of you have good software for this.
I have downloaded 4 different things and none seem to work

You normally don't have to download anything. Google myshuttercount and upload a straight from camera jpeg that you have not edited in any way.

You normally don't have to download anything. Google myshuttercount and upload a straight from camera jpeg that you have not edited in any way.

thanks but it is crazy. this site and the other wont accept canon raw files and tells me the jpegs are edited but i didnt edit them. :( i wonder if any canon users out there can save my life....

One I used recently says it works for your model. As I recall it was a little finicky. I had to take a JPEG image in camera rather than raw and convert.

Camera Shutter Count

One I used recently says it works for your model. As I recall it was a little finicky. I had to take a JPEG image in camera rather than raw and convert.

Camera Shutter Count

Thanks. Tried that but it asked me to connect the camera so it looks like I have to buy a USB lead for it. It says that camera type cannot be read from an image on a card. Weird.

Many years since I owned a Cannon, so my knowledge is limited but it sounds as if your EXIF may be corrupted or missing information. Save a JPEG from your card to computer, then upload that image to this site. It will read all the meta data. Keep scrolling down the information, shutter count will be way down the list.

Jeffrey Friedl's Image Metadata Viewer

Why worry about shutter count just go out a use it till it breaks

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Many years since I owned a Cannon, so my knowledge is limited but it sounds as if your EXIF may be corrupted or missing information. Save a JPEG from your card to computer, then upload that image to this site. It will read all the meta data. Keep scrolling down the information, shutter count will be way down the list.

Thanks but shutter count is not listed at all.

Canon doesn't, or didn't, make the shutter count info accessible to users in the Maker Notes section (way down the list) of Exif metadata.
Canon service can read it for you if you send them the camera.

But the link above should work a charm.
You have to take the camera out of Raw mode and have it make a JPEG in the camera.
Upload that photo to your computer with a card reader or whatever you use to move photos from a memory card to your computer if you don't have a USB cable for your camera.
Then upload that JPEG photo to Camera Shutter Count.

Thanks but shutter count is not listed at all.

I am assuming you uploaded a JPEG from the camera with NO editing???? This site displays the "entire metadata file" from your camera regardless of it there is an entry for that heading, so it's a LONG list. You'll have to scroll way down the list to MAKER NOTES then scroll down till you find Shutter Count (will look like this). Did you find this, or was there no entry???? If there is no entry, then you will probably have to send it to Cannon to have the file reset/restored. You've reach the limit of my knowledge.:apthy:
Capture.JPG

Canon doesn't, or didn't, make the shutter count info accessible to users in the Maker Notes

Glad you chimed in, as I haven't used one in years. For future reference, Is the Shutter Count heading there just blank, or does it not even have the heading?

Canon doesn't, or didn't, make the shutter count info accessible to users in the Maker Notes

Glad you chimed in, as I haven't used one in years. For future reference, Is the Shutter Count heading there just blank, or does it not even have the heading?

I don't seem to even see a heading for it. Wanna try? Or maybe sending them here first won't work

Attachments

• IMG_0665.JPG
    IMG_0665.JPG
    885 KB · Views: 290
I tried the link as well, and there's not even a heading for shutter count. Oddly I also didn't see a manufacture date. It may be as KmH said above, you may have to send it to Cannon if it's really that important to know. Also as he said - you do have the camera switched to JPEG and not raw so it will make the image in camera without further processing? Sorry, but I'm out of ideas :apologetic:

Edit footnote: looks like the average life span is 150k to 185k shutter clicks. However if they're like other brands, I suspect something else will fail before the shutter. The Auto Focus went out on my Pentax at 5k on the counter.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back