Simple Canon Rebel XS Question

jason1998

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
When in full auto mode with the Canon Rebel XS does the 2.5 inch LCD on the back become disabled? So you must use the view finder when in full auto mode?

I'd like to get this camera but it would annoy my wife if she had to use the view finder to always take pictures in full auto mode.

When in full auto mode with the Canon Rebel XS does the 2.5 inch LCD on the back become disabled? So you must use the view finder when in full auto mode?

I'd like to get this camera but it would annoy my wife if she had to use the view finder to always take pictures in full auto mode.
That would take a feature called live view.

I don't belive the XS has that. You can always check at Canon U.S.A

I can confirm it does have live view as I have the camera, however I find it very annoying to have on.

tjones -

Can you answer me this, when in "full auto" mode can live view be seen on the 2.5 inch LCD???

thank you

I remember a day when ALL cameras used a view finder.
:er:

bitter -

I remember those days too however this would allow my wife to compose photos on the LCD, just like she can on a compact camera, which she is used to.

Live View is only available in the "creative" zones... i.e. the manual settings. It is not available in the "basic" zones i.e. automatic settings.

Isn't there something funky about live view as well. Like you can't auto focus or something. I remember checking it out, and thought it was crap, and never used it again.

To the OP, Your wife might want to get used to the viewfinder, or stick with a point and shoot. Once you put some heavier lenses on the body, you have more stability issues holding the camera out away from the face. Holding the camera to your eye is an additional point of stabilization. Your wife will experience more blurry pictures because of "camera shake" at lower shutter speeds using live view. If your wife has poor vision, you cannect correct for that to a degree using the the little diopter adjustment beside the eyepiece.

I was curious after reading this post, so I got out my camera...

Yes it is possible.

In the second Settings Menu, you have to go to Live View Function Settings, and Enable it (which had been mentioned).

When in full auto mode (P), press the "Set" button the camera. The LCD will then show you your photo :)

Enjoy.

It has live view and I use it all the time. Thats how I shot my pano so I didnt have to have my eye on the view finder.

Its a good feature for the XS on AUTO

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh NOoooooooooooooooo.....

LOL

Isn't there something funky about live view as well. Like you can't auto focus or something. I remember checking it out, and thought it was crap, and never used it again.

To the OP, Your wife might want to get used to the viewfinder, or stick with a point and shoot. Once you put some heavier lenses on the body, you have more stability issues holding the camera out away from the face. Holding the camera to your eye is an additional point of stabilization. Your wife will experience more blurry pictures because of "camera shake" at lower shutter speeds using live view. If your wife has poor vision, you cannect correct for that to a degree using the the little diopter adjustment beside the eyepiece.

And further with dioptric adjustment eyepiece thingamajigs from Canon. I'm sure those'll be nifty when my eyesight takes the next step downward and that knob doesn't work anymore.

As for AF, by default the camera will use a contrast-based AF mode, focusing on the area inside the box. It's slow as molasses and inaccurate compared to the AF sensor which uses far more accurate phase-detection. There should be a custom function that enables a "Quick Mode" for Live View AF, that quickly drops the mirror using the AF sensor to focus, and then flips it back up and back into Live View when you focus. But this is still a heck of a lot less useful than just using the darn viewfinder. :lol:

I was curious after reading this post, so I got out my camera...

Yes it is possible.

In the second Settings Menu, you have to go to Live View Function Settings, and Enable it (which had been mentioned).

When in full auto mode (P), press the "Set" button the camera. The LCD will then show you your photo :)

Enjoy.

I am a noob but isn't (P) program mode and the little box full auto? Maybe not or someone else would have brought this up.
Anyway as I type this I have my Canon XS in my hand and when I am in one "creative or programmable zones) P, TV, AV etc. I can go to the menu and the live view enable is an option. When I move it down to the square (what I call full auto) and then go to the menu, live view is no longer an option.

Most reactions

Back