Skydiving Advice

Soul Rebel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My dad was informed last week that a family friend is going to be skydiving for the opening of a new wine place in the area. He knows that I am into photography and said that I should go out and see if I can get some shots. I dont know what will come of this but I want to try and make this as smooth as possible.

So....im totally clueless. I know what I want to get some shots at the airport of them loading up. They will make 2-3 jumps so I can get some shots of them loading for the first jump and then get shots of the 2nd and 3rd jumps.

The first part is somewhat easy.

On to the jumping. What do I need? Since there is a lot of action involved should I use the tripod? Should I find a point that I know they will pass and shoot it that way? Hand hold the camera? Should I take carefully focused shots of set the camera to action and click away and see what happens?

BTW, Ive got a Nikon D50 with the kit 18-55 lens and a Sigma 70-300 telephoto/macro lens.

I have only shot skydivers a couple of times but I always hand held my camera. I think you would be really limited hooked up to a tripod. As far as the lens I think the 70-300 will be good for distance but as they get closer to the ground you may want to be using the 18-55. If they make 2-3 jumps you should be able to get some shots with both. I've never used a D-50 but I'm guessing it has an autofocus/program mode which might work good in this situation.

If the airport is home to other jumpers maybe go out and get some practice before the event.

How about a helmet cam and jump with them?:mrgreen:

fredcwdoc said:
How about a helmet cam and jump with them?:mrgreen:
Or at least the next best thing - go up with them on the first jump. Might be cool to get a shot or two of the jump from inside the plane...

That was my first though. Well, going up with them. Not a chance im jumping out myself. They said something about liability though.

Ask if you can sign a release. I agree a few shots right before the jump would be cool. I'm sure they can strap you in.

Well things have taken an interesting turn. The plan is to jump from 10-1 so there is a good possibility that I will be able to shoot 3 jumps, at least. The other thing is that I can go up with them. I have to pay 25, which would cover one jump but they would have to push my dead, lifeless body out the door...but I would be able to get some shots from inside the plane. Im not sure if im going to be able to do that. Despite the great photo opportunity I have a slight (huge overstatement) fear of flying.

So my plan right now, unless I chicken out, is to shoot them loading up for the first jump. Go up with them and shoot the jump from inside the plane. Then head to the place they are jumping and shoot them jumping. I only have 2 512MB SD cards so I am going to have to bring my laptop to unload one of them at least once.

This sounds exciting but I hope that I can actually go through with it.

Oh, and I plan on bringing only my 18-55 kit lens with me. I know that sounds obvious since I will be so close but I was considering bringing the 70-300 to get some shots out the window. I think that might be a bit excessive though.

How fun will this be for you!

Just some notes from a person with no experience with aerial photography but with a link to a person who has done a shot or two in the plane. You might want to look into renting a lens with VR (I think that is the equivalent of Canon IS with Nikon equipment) due to the vibration in the plane. There are also gyro stabilizers, but that won't be necessary for one time use. Other then the extra stabilization, I have heard a story or two (maybe stretched) of screws literally coming out of lenses in the camera case with vibration (but that was probably prolonged).

So other then that, happy flying, and I want to see this pictures

Thanks.

I never did think of the vibration in the plane. Now im not to sure about this. Hmmm. We have no place within 2 1/2 hours (and im not even sure you can there) that would allow you to rent a lens. And on such short notice.

I guess I am going to have to take the plunge (not literally) and see how it turns out. I will be using the kit lens in the plane so if something horrible happens I wont be losing anything really expensive. Well, other than the camera. But then its not like I can leave the camera on the ground, lol.

Oh, and as for jumping out of airplanes....yes, my reasoning is that there is no good reason to jump out of a functioning airplane. When I was in the Army (a whopping one month due to medical discharge) they tried getting me to go into airborne. I laughed at them.

Oh Fun fun!!

My g-maw went skydiving in September for her 60th birthday (pretty awesome g-maw huh?).

Anyways, they wouldn't let me go up in the plane for, like you said, liability. They think I might jump out without a parachute or just well, liability stuff.

The guy that did take the pictures of them jumping out of the plane got some great pictures.

How did everything turn out. Sorry to bring this back to the top, the thread is a little old

~Michael~

Most reactions

Back