SMC Pentax-A 50mm/f1.7

reshp1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What can you guys tell me about this lens? I'm looking for a low light lens for my Pentax K110D. These seem to be fairly common on the used market for very reasonable prices. Lack of AF is not an issue, the "A" lenses feature open aperture metering, which would make them compatible with my camera's metering correct?
Any other gotchas to look out for when using one of these (or any other older, MF lenses) on a newer digital body?

It's pretty good, if you don't mind not having AF. As you say open-aperture metering is possible; I think full matrix metering may not work but spot and center-weighted metering definitely works. You will also have focus confirmation in the viewfinder. Make sure you have the camera set to MF however; if set to AF it may not let you operate the shutter until it thinks it's confirmed focus.

I have one of these from my ME Super and have used it in the past w/ my current DS. It works quite nicely and is a pretty decent piece of glass. Well worth the $20-40 you'll find them on Ebay for. Might want to search for a good used ME Super as they typically include this lens and get a decent camera with it as well for about the same price.

Thanks for the tip on the ME Super. There are indeed camera/lens combos going for less than the lense itself.

How are the 50mm 1:2 and 1:1.4? They seem to be pretty common too. Is the difference just the 1/2 stop one way or the other, or does one have significantly better optics than the other, or are better value?

I love my 50mm 1.4 FA, nice sturdy feel and very wide.

I have the 50mm f/2 that comes with the K1000, but havent really used it much (my dads camera that I have sorta inherited, and I just recently got into photography). But this lens is also build like old school lenses, it is so well built it embarasses current kit lenses, and many of todays better lenses.

ditto on the FA 1.4 50mm. That was my first purchase and is worth every penny. The 1.7 is a nice lens if you don't mind the manual focus.

I just further immersed myself in the pentax line and finally decided to pick up a K10D for some upcoming weddings! No turning back now. Can't wait to get it.

1.4 is the way to go. The 50mm 2.0 is basically the stock lens for the ME, ME Super, K100, Super Program, etc. The 1.7 is nice, but it's only a partial stop wider, and the 2.0 is generally a little bit cheaper and easier to find. But the difference between the 1.4 and the 2.0 (if you're trying to shoot wide open/low light) is definitely noticeable. So I'd say go for the 1.4 if you can get a deal.

You might also have a look at this guide I wrote some time ago to choosing a manual focus lens for 35mm pentax cameras:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48998

ditto on the FA 1.4 50mm. That was my first purchase and is worth every penny. The 1.7 is a nice lens if you don't mind the manual focus.

I just further immersed myself in the pentax line and finally decided to pick up a K10D for some upcoming weddings! No turning back now. Can't wait to get it.

You are definitely going to love it!

You might also have a look at this guide I wrote some time ago to choosing a manual focus lens for 35mm pentax cameras:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48998

Hey, thanks! Nice writeup you linked to. I ended up getting a Pentax M f2, it was like $35 shipped and I just couldn't resist. I'll probably keep an eye out for the f1.4's and if I see any for a good price I'll probably end up snagging one.

OK but you know you won't get open-aperture meeting with an 'M' lens, right? No electronic aperture control, so aperture has to be stopped down for metering. Not a huge problem but obviously not as convenient. Do keep an eye out for the f/1.4; it's very reasonably priced compared with some others and for me at least it's absolutely worth the cost.

P.s. Johnboy are you considering any new glass to go with that K10D? If you get your hands on one of the new supersonic zooms consider it your sworn duty to provide a review :D

OK but you know you won't get open-aperture meeting with an 'M' lens, right? Aperture has to be stopped down for metering. Not a huge problem but obviously not as convenient. Do keep an eye out for the f/1.4; it's very reasonably priced compared with some others and for me at least it's absolutely worth the cost.

Yeah, I found that out after digging a little. The K110D has a nice feature to do essentially Aperture priority by pushing the AE-Lock button, or I can do an optical DOF preview and manually set shutter speed. It seemed like too small of an inconvenience to justify spending more on the "A" lenses.

P.s. Johnboy are you considering any new glass to go with that K10D? If you get your hands on one of the new supersonic zooms consider it your sworn duty to provide a review :D

Not yet, it makes me nauseous spending that much money to start with but I have a couple of events this coming month which will completely pay for it. Pretty happy with the glass I have right now, but I always keep my eye out for something new. I have decided that I will not be spending any more of my money of photo equip for a while...but I will re-invest from paid events :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back