Someone please explain this "title" thing to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hertz van Rental said:
I think we need a roving mod to lock this before it gets out of hand.
Come on - play nicely

really! just wanted a clear answer and got it early on coupled with an awesome title! thanks mods! :wink:

and sorry this thread caused so much grief. :cry:

And now I'm grumpy because I think you made me miss something very important to me there

(No I didn't - I'd to take take my own, thank you kindly PG :eyebrows: but I'm sure i could find my way around Chase. Ooh. My finger is near the PayPal button and I just happen to have Mr Visa with me :wink: )

jadin said:
Good gravy get over it.

My beef is with the word "owned". It could easily be deemed racist or what have you. Nothing like owning slaves eh? "I sure owned you!"

Follow?

Maybe if you're super paranoid I suppose, but that phrase is commonly used in sports. The girl getting hit was just "OWN3D" by the other girl.

Besides, when were asians slaves? It had nothing to do with the fact that the girls are asians, just goes to show no matter what you do someone will be there to cry race; that's so silly. This is just a funny gif, nothing more. In sports it's a common phrase to say "Owned!" that means you just got owned by the other guy, team etc. That's it, nothing more. If someone posted a pic of a black refridgerator I'm sures someone would call them a racist. Sheesh.

Bokeh said:
See! If I was a moderator, I could have already locked this thread! Sheesh.

Tracy, we are trying to give you all the benefit of the doubt to behave like mature adults on this forum. If this continues, we will lock the thread. Now, behave everyone!!! :pissed:

as the creator of this thread, may i request it be blocked? this is getting a bit off topic. i didn't expect reactions of this nature. :?

photogoddess said:
Bokeh said:
See! If I was a moderator, I could have already locked this thread! Sheesh.

Tracy, we are trying to give you all the benefit of the doubt to behave like mature adults on this forum. If this continues, we will lock the thread. Now, behave everyone!!! :pissed:

And I think I totally am - yet Core gets to throw blatant insults at me unchecked? What's up with that?

My comment has nothing to do with your gif. Period.

Where do you think the sports phrase came from? I'm talking about the words origins; not what it's used for most recently. Think about it, "Owned!" where did it come from? Why is it used when you just got "owned" by the other guy, team etc? Outside of slavery there isn't any possible definition for why the word is used how it's used today.

FYI: my comment(s) are not directed at you, but at the word. People use it in everyday slang without thinking about it's meaning.

jadin said:
My comment has nothing to do with your gif. Period.

It's not my gif, I didn't create it, just passed it along...

jadin said:
Where do you think the sports phrase came from? I'm talking about the words origins; not what it's used for most recently. Think about it, "Owned!" where did it come from? Why is it used when you just got "owned" by the other guy, team etc? Outside of slavery there isn't any possible definition for why the word is used how it's used today.

Sure there is. HAven't you ever heard the phrase "I just made you my b!tch"? It's a way of saying you totally own the person - it has absolutely nothing to do with something that happened 250 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back