sRGB versus Adobe RGB

tjones8611

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have read confusing information on both sRGB and Adobe and still not sure which is preferred/better. What do most people use and what is the real advantage of one compared to the other.

So it has nothing to do with using Photoshop or other apps for post processing on the screen? Any prints I need I typically order online

Adobe RGB if you're going to be printing your images, sRGB if they're primarily for web/computer display, and whatever colourspace your lab recommends if you get custom printing done.

So it has nothing to do with using Photoshop or other apps for post processing on the screen? Any prints I need I typically order online

Your camera and all of your post-processing applications should be set to the same colourspace.

AdobeRGB is technically better for working in...but sRGB is more universally used (web viewing & most consumer labs).

So feel free to work in AdobeRGB....but you'll need to remember to convert the images to sRBG if you are sending them out for web viewing or to a lab that requires sRGB.

Many people just stick with sRGB to avoid the confusion.

AdobeRGB is technically better for working in...but sRGB is more universally used (web viewing & most consumer labs).

So feel free to work in AdobeRGB....but you'll need to remember to convert the images to sRBG if you are sending them out for web viewing or to a lab that requires sRGB.

Many people just stick with sRGB to avoid the confusion.
Confusion? I'll say. I leave everything the same, they are all in sRGB. I have done the AdobeRGB, but everything suddenly was way oversaturated when in sRGB they were fine. So, I tone the saturation down, then when converting back to sRGB, they were all washed out and dull.

I have never understood the sRGB/AdobeRGB thing now for almost 2 years.

Perhaps this will help. If you look at the home page of the Cambridge-In-Color site and the tutorial list you'll see that the link is #2 in a 3 part series on color management.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back