The Coffee House

Well sounds like in the long run then you might actually end up saving money, since I doubt your wife is likely to give her money anymore, and you've got a nice little camera to show for it. I shot an sx50 for a while, pretty decent little camera overall.
Yup, to go along with the other 10

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Well give them all grapefruit sized heads with bug eyes, take some pics and send them to Strad's wife, she'll buy them all for her collection I'm sure.. lol

What a strange little situation there.

I caved and bought a monopod with a little tripod foot thing on a ball. Was gonna combine it with my ball head, but my ball head broke (well, the thing that lets you rotate it broke). Great, now I gotta buy more crap.

Sad news - we lost a Firefighter/Paramedic tonight.

The other firefighter is still in surgery.

Oh, so sorry to hear that. You just don't usually hear about a situation like that involving paramedics/fire dept. My gosh Charlie, that's awful, I feel for you and your coworkers to be going thru this.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. I understand that those folks are like family.

Found an identical ball head for $20! I really liked mine, so it's great to have another.

Thanks. Yes, Michael, it is like family: I may not have personally known him, but it still affects you the same way. Such is the way in public safety.

Thanks. Yes, Michael, it is like family: I may not have personally known him, but it still affects you the same way. Such is the way in public safety.
Our first responders do amazing work for not much pay and little recognition until tragedy, or a dramatic rescue occurs. But it's the routine, day to day events that make them heroic.

You have my sympathies for your local loss. :heartpump:

Morning, hosers.

Taxes have been done for a while and yesterday I posted my payment to the state, so I will not be frantically finishing them up this weekend, as I'm sure many others will be around the country. This is good because it's headache time :(

My coffee this morning was poured into a mug from my college that was part of a swag bag I got for being a presenter in a conference on Thursday. See, last semester, I somehow ended up as part of a steering committee to do stuff that SUNY is telling us we have to do. Ah, academia and their beloved committees! :048: Meanwhile, in an office across campus, another dean was informed that our campus would be hosting a conference and she had to find presenters. Boom, suddenly I'm one of the presenters (thankfully, our entire committee was roped in, not just me!)

And now I have a new coffee mug. Thankfully, it's actually a really good mug.

Happy Caturday! My girls are 6 years old today!** Here they are in their birthday hats on their 1st birthday:

208596_10150152249624007_4701544_n.jpg

218008_10150152249829007_1354552_n.jpg

**(Sort of - they were definitely born in mid-April but the shelter didn't know the exact date. They listed anywhere between the 7th to the 21st, so I just split the difference and celebrate on a Caturday somewhere in the middle of that range!)

No, Leonore, but he is expected to survive. There are other firefighters keeping vigil, but I haven't heard anything yet. The police are investigating and I don't want to speculate, but they were attempting to force entry at the time (the call was a check-on-welfare, no response at the door.)

A couple of days ago, a MD State Trooper was seriously injured when his cruiser was struck. The Troopers keeping vigil for him, and the Baltimore City Fire Department has reached out, as well. Yes, public safety is a very large family.

@terri: The firefighter @ Shock/Trauma was, in fact, a volunteer.

From the PIO:
PGFD Suffers a Line of Duty Death and Serious Injury

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
[email protected] @PGFDPIO

The Prince George’s County Fire/Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Department is mourning the death of one of our own and praying for the best of a second member.Firefighter/Medic John E. Ulmschneider was shot and killed while on a call Friday evening.A Morningside Volunteer Firefighter, Kevin Swain, was shot multiple times and at last check was undergoing surgery.

At around 7:30 pm, Friday, April 15, fire/EMS units from Morningside Fire/EMS Station 827 and Paramedic Ambulance from Forestville Fire/EMS Station 823 with Ulmschneider on-board were alerted for a “check on the welfare” call whereas a family member could not contact another family member that resides in a home in the 5000 block of Sharon Road in Temple Hills.

After arriving on the scene and receiving no answer to knocks on the door and fearing for the occupants welfare a decision was made to force entry into the house to check on the occupant. As personnel initiated forcible entry several shots were fired from within the house striking Ulmschneider, Swain and a family member that called 911 initially. The home occupant/shooter quickly surrendered upon orders from the police.

Fire Fighter/Medic Ulmschneider, 37 years of age, was transported in extremely critical condition to Med Star Southern Maryland Hospital Center in Clinton suffering from a gunshot wound to the upper body.Despite the very best efforts of medics and hospital staff Ulmschneider succumbed to his injuries a short time after arriving at the hospital.John “Skillet” Ulmschneider lived in St. Mary’s County and was a 13-year member of the Fire/EMS Department. His normal duty assignment is at Landover Hills Fire/EMS Station 830. He leaves behind a wife and 2-year-old daughter.

Morningside Volunteer Fire Fighter Kevin Swain, 19 years of age, was flown from the scene by way of Maryland State Trooper 2 to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore. He was in surgery at last check and listed in Serious Condition. Swain is expected to survive his injuries.

A third person, an adult male civilian, sustained a gunshot wound to his shoulder and transported to a local hospital for treatment. He was in Fair condition,

The County Police Department continues to investigate the incident.

Prince George’s County Fire Chief Marc S. Bashoor informed the Department of the Line of Duty Death and asked, “Please keep all of our folks and their families in your thoughts and prayers as we work through this difficult time.”

Andrew Pantelis, President of the Prince George’s County Firefighters and Paramedics Association Local 1619, said in a written statement to his members, “This is a day that we have all dreaded in our minds. We are keenly aware of the dangers of our profession but we all have hoped that God would continue to look over and protect us. Now that tragedy has stricken us, we must not fall apart but stand strong and band together to support Skillet's family and those who are closest to him.”

Glad to hear he's expected to survive. Regardless, it's a tragedy nonetheless.

Sorry to hear one of them didn't make it, glad the other is recovering. Condolences to you Charlie and your coworkers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back