The Coffee House

The wife and I saw A Walk in the Woods yesterday. If you want a comedy with lots of cliched jokes, fat shaming/jokes, drunk jokes, and whatnot, go see it. It had its moments. If you read the book, you'll notice some differences. I think the biggest part that annoyed me in the movie was that they were on the trail for many miles, and their bodies/boots/gear showed essentially no signs of wear. That was a disappointment to me.

Morning, hosers!

I wasn't really interested in seeing that movie, but now I have even less interest. The book was good - Bryson is an entertaining writer while still presenting real information. I think it was a bad idea to begin with to make a movie out of the book.

Ed, I'll be down in an hour or so with a bib on! :)

So I was really good about staying away from triggers but alas, the headache found me anyway :( Hopefully it won't be too bad this time.

I thought about going to see it--but I ended up deciding to just re-read the book instead. I really like Redford, so that was the main attraction to me as far as seeing the movie. But I'm not much of a Nick Nolte fan (although I can definitely see him as Katz--he does blundering annoyance pretty well). As I'm re-reading it, I keep thinking, how in the blazes would they make all this commentary--which is what really completes the book--anything that could translate to a movie?

I haven't seen a whole lot of movies based on books where the movie was actually better than the book.

Well, comic books maybe.. but not actual books. Lol
I agree, in general, that the book is better than the movie, BUT one counterexample is The Godfather. I thought the movie was wonderful, but the book was almost unreadable. Whoever first saw that movie in that book was a creative genius. BTW, on a photography note, some of the footage of the Don's daughter's wedding was taken from actual movies shot at mafia weddings. I could tell you how I know, but I'd have to kill you.

I agree, in general, that the book is better than the movie, BUT one counterexample is The Godfather. I thought the movie was wonderful, but the book was almost unreadable. Whoever first saw that movie in that book was a creative genius. BTW, on a photography note, some of the footage of the Don's daughter's wedding was taken from actual movies shot at mafia weddings. I could tell you how I know, but I'd have to kill you.

Ok, well I know I'm probably in the minority on this one, but honestly I never really liked the Godfather movies. Godfather I is ok, up to about the point where Marlon Brando goes down. After that, well to be honest it's sort of a snooze fest for me. I didn't really get into the rest of the characters, they just really weren't all that interesting to me at all. I generally make it about half way into the movie before falling asleep. The book I've never read, so no way I can compare them.

I've never seen any of the Godfather movies. :aiwebs_016:
I hadn't either until a Film Appreciation class - it was a themed class, "Heroes & Villains," and the first Godfather film was selected for the fun of writing a paper with an argument on which type was Michael Corleone. ;)

The first film was the best, IMO. I really enjoyed the second one, the third wasn't as great but still watchable and tied the series up nicely.

Never been much of a Pacino fan, but he really was sterling in that role.

I've never seen any of the Godfather movies. :aiwebs_016:

I have, Part 1 like I said I can get through about half of it, then I'm out like a light. Part 2 is too much like Tale of Two Cities for me, your in London, your in Paris, your in London, your in Paris - your in the past, your in the future.. ugh. Hate that. Part 3 was like fingernails on a chalkboard.

So yup, not really a fan, never did really understand why the movie was supposedly so iconic. Brando did a great job with his part, but the rest. eh.. not so much. Not for me at any rate. But hey, a lot of folks seem to love that movie.

My fav didn't have a book. And it wasn't a movie.

bad.jpg

On another subject, wish me luck, my hosers! I have an interview in just over an hour. It's another part-time admin job on campus, but it would be for a different department, almost $10 more per hour than I'm making at my current part-time admin job, and I'd be able to work more hours. I *think* I have a good shot at it, but academia is funny that way. I still can't tell if I have a real chance or if they already know who they want to give the job to but are just giving me a courtesy interview because I already work here. I guess I'll know soon (not necessarily today but soon enough.)

On another subject, wish me luck, my hosers! I have an interview in just over an hour. It's another part-time admin job on campus, but it would be for a different department, almost $10 more per hour than I'm making at my current part-time admin job, and I'd be able to work more hours. I *think* I have a good shot at it, but academia is funny that way. I still can't tell if I have a real chance or if they already know who they want to give the job to but are just giving me a courtesy interview because I already work here. I guess I'll know soon (not necessarily today but soon enough.)

Luck?!? You don't need me to wish you any "luck," because you already have talent, wit and personality. There's only two possible scenarios that might mean you don't get the job:
1. As you mentioned, they already have someone in mind, and they are just going through the motions.
2. They somehow fail to see your talent and intelligence, and don't recognize what a tremendous asset you would be to them. And really, why would you WANT to work for someone who doesn't recognize that? :1251:

I'll keep my eyes crossed and my T's dotted for you. Should work great for getting a job in higher education.. lol

Luck?!? You don't need me to wish you any "luck," because you already have talent, wit and personality. There's only two possible scenarios that might mean you don't get the job:
1. As you mentioned, they already have someone in mind, and they are just going through the motions.
2. They somehow fail to see your talent and intelligence, and don't recognize what a tremendous asset you would be to them. And really, why would you WANT to work for someone who doesn't recognize that? :1251:

I swear, this made me kinda teary-eyed! Thank you :icon_hug:

I'll keep my eyes crossed and my T's dotted for you. Should work great for getting a job in higher education.. lol

It's absolutely the kind of randomness that higher ed is looking for ;)

Well, I think the interview went very well. One way or another, I'll know by next week. There were a few things I hadn't realized about the job and when I learned about them, I wanted the job even more. That, plus the fact that the interview went well means that I now have to try really really hard not to get my hopes up, because doing so is just a dangerous thing to do around here. I've got the burn scars to prove it!

Luckily I'll have plenty to do in the meantime to take my mind off of it. I'll be hitting the ground running. Tuesday is our first day of classes and I've got all three of mine on that first day. Two classes are back-to-back in a block from 10-1, then I have a break, and I have my third class from 2-3:15. Repeat on Thursday.

Bernard Malamud's 1952 novel The Natural was so compelling that in 1985 I ended up reading it overnight, straight through...I just could not put the book down! The movie based on the book, starring Robert Redford, does a horrible disservice to the book. When I saw the movie on video a couple of years after having read the book, I was crushed by how much it sucked.

Oh, and I saved a turtle on my way to work this morning! He (or she) was a medium-sized box turtle and was sitting right on the double yellow line. I pulled over and picked him up to bring him to the side of the road he was facing in. As soon as I did, he tucked himself in, of course, but then very briefly peeked his head out long enough to let out a quick hiss and then he tucked it back into his shell. Once I put him on the ground heading downhill, his little legs shot out and he started booking down the hill.

I love a turtle :586:

I swear, this made me kinda teary-eyed! Thank you :icon_hug:

It's absolutely the kind of randomness that higher ed is looking for ;)

Well, I think the interview went very well. One way or another, I'll know by next week. There were a few things I hadn't realized about the job and when I learned about them, I wanted the job even more. That, plus the fact that the interview went well means that I now have to try really really hard not to get my hopes up, because doing so is just a dangerous thing to do around here. I've got the burn scars to prove it!

Luckily I'll have plenty to do in the meantime to take my mind off of it. I'll be hitting the ground running. Tuesday is our first day of classes and I've got all three of mine on that first day. Two classes are back-to-back in a block from 10-1, then I have a break, and I have my third class from 2-3:15. Repeat on Thursday.

Didn't make it on here in time for the wish of luck on the interview so best of luck on getting the job!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back