The Coffee House

Gary A. said:
Buenas Tardis Coffee Hosers.

Spanish language meets Dr. Who!

I was glad to see you had adopted Buenas Dias a few weeks back.

Hola, hosers. Been a good day for once. Got both of my TLRs up and running, fired a roll through one, getting the second ready for film (having a minor shutter lag on the C), and avoided the football game successfully.

As for turtles, I miss my African Sidenecked. She looked so stupidly happy all the time. Was a good pet, but she up and died on us at random.

@limr

82227f9a37e4fea59c0f90f683fca890.jpg

morningafternoon people!

476328870f97a7afd9e8455dabf508d6.jpg

Morning, hosers! I have to be in another stupid pointless meeting in a little while, but at least I get to leave early today.

Buenos Dias Coffee Hosers. The good news of the day is my wine shipment from the Russian River Vineyard has shipped and will arrive on Tuesday. The bad news is that today isn't Tuesday. Yesterday I had made a wine run to Costco ... so I will be a bit overstocked ... so let's have a wine tasting party at Gary's to celebrate the 2015 College Football Season.

I thought the Lord of the Rings movies did an excellent job of interpreting the books into film. I still like the books better, but the movies are excellent.

I remember saying this in some thread many moons ago, but I also thought that Planet of the Apes was possibly better than the book for no other reason than the ending. I'm talking about the Charlton Heston version, not the friggin' Marky Mark remake. The film changed the ending of the book: instead of going back to Earth and finding that it too had been taken over by the apes, Charlton Heston finds the Statue of Liberty on the beach and realizes he's been on Earth the whole time. I think that was just a brilliant twist that made for a far better ending than the book's version. Classic O.Henry literary style in movie form.

I don't think I ever read the Planet of the Ape books, I did enjoy the movies - despite the fact that the screenplays seem to have been written by Gorillaphobes.. lol

Like you I think they did a spectacular job with the Lord of the Rings trilogy, though I can't really rate them as better than the books, it would have to be a pretty close tie though. One thing I did get from the movies that I didn't get from the books is a little better understanding of the character of Golum. Part of that might have been that his multiple personality disorder was just more evident in the movie version, or it may have been that when I read the books I was fairly young, whereas I saw the movies as an adult so it might have just been that I had a better understanding myself of things like that when I watched the movies.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add a true confession to my post:
I have never read the Planet of the Apes books. I have also never seen the Planet of the Apes movie, original or remake.
But have you ever visited Washington D.C.? The movies are better.

Morning, hosers! I have to be in another stupid pointless meeting in a little while, but at least I get to leave early today.

Hey, Ken!! Today is the start of the long holiday weekend that you thought was LAST weekend!! :D You've waited a LONG time for this holiday!

I thought the Lord of the Rings movies did an excellent job of interpreting the books into film. I still like the books better, but the movies are excellent.

I remember saying this in some thread many moons ago, but I also thought that Planet of the Apes was possibly better than the book for no other reason than the ending. I'm talking about the Charlton Heston version, not the friggin' Marky Mark remake. The film changed the ending of the book: instead of going back to Earth and finding that it too had been taken over by the apes, Charlton Heston finds the Statue of Liberty on the beach and realizes he's been on Earth the whole time. I think that was just a brilliant twist that made for a far better ending than the book's version. Classic O.Henry literary style in movie form.

I don't think I ever read the Planet of the Ape books, I did enjoy the movies - despite the fact that the screenplays seem to have been written by Gorillaphobes.. lol

Like you I think they did a spectacular job with the Lord of the Rings trilogy, though I can't really rate them as better than the books, it would have to be a pretty close tie though. One thing I did get from the movies that I didn't get from the books is a little better understanding of the character of Golum. Part of that might have been that his multiple personality disorder was just more evident in the movie version, or it may have been that when I read the books I was fairly young, whereas I saw the movies as an adult so it might have just been that I had a better understanding myself of things like that when I watched the movies.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add a true confession to my post:
I have never read the Planet of the Apes books. I have also never seen the Planet of the Apes movie, original or remake.
But have you ever visited Washington D.C.? The movies are better.

I have been to DC. But, unfortunately, I am so clueless about Planet of the Apes that, while I suspect there is some connection between that and your question, I have no idea what the connection actually is!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back