The oddity of online photo posting

It's disappointing from both sides.

If you're not well known or well liked, you get a bunch of nitpicking from people who think that "critique" is about finding things wrong with images.
If you're popular and well liked, then you get a bunch of positive feedback no matter what you post.

Neither is of much use. The first is falsely demoralizing, the second is equally falsely uplifting.
if it bothers you that much just open a new account under another name (i have a couple elsewhere) and go incognito. Never type much. They won't know the difference you can remain anonymous.

Are you trying to tell us that you are sicboi?
yes, if that is what sicboi does. i run multiple accounts for different types of images.

You are aware that on most sites moderators greatly dislike the use of multiple accounts by one person and on many it comes with a full ban on all accounts.
It's deceptive to use multiple accounts whilst part of the same community and honestly you really don't need to do that to just show photos.
Go on ban him [emoji3]
who is that?

I am not sicboi. I am not demoralized. There is more to the world of social networked photography things than TPF. I do not have multiple accounts on TPF.

I hope that answers all the outstanding questions.

I post pictures for several reasons:because I like when people like my pictures because, if I'm going to make comments about other people's pictures, I think its only fair that I let my own work be available for comment.

Public exhibitions don't mean too much, if anything, to me because most of the relatively few people who see work in person have zero idea of what good work is and so their approval means nothing to me.

I obviously can't speak for anyone else but I can tell you why I don't look at your work. You don't respect what you do enough to submit finished work, you deflect any comments by saying that your work is just 'stuff' that you threw up here. Clearly you have no respect for what many of us are trying to do and thus I have no interest in anything you do.
I get the beginning. Not so much the end. I didn't say anything about you looking or not looking at my work. What does that have to do with anything? Most is in the just for fun section anyway. It think my only recent move from the just for fun section was stuff i shot 25-30 years ago. which also should have been in just for fun. I dont think you would want to bother critiquing stuff i shot when i was 10

I am not sicboi. I am not demoralized. There is more to the world of social networked photography things than TPF. I do not have multiple accounts on TPF.

I hope that answers all the outstanding questions.
i thought sicboi was just sicboi. Apparently i am not keeping up on current events.

WHY CAN'T WE BE FRIENDS WHY CAN'T WEE BE FRIENDS WHY CAN'T WEE BE FRIENDS WHY CAN'T WEE BE FRIIIEEEENNNDDDSSSSSS

Everybody has their own way of doing things. I don't see a problem with online posting. Usually those are what inspire me.

Is there too much debating about posting pictures then 1.posting pictures online 2.printing pictures. 3.taking pictures. 4.showing to real live local people your pictures. 5.hanging them on the wall?

I'm just honestly surprised that noone's mentioned the fact that pictures look way better in print than on a digital screen..

What I put up on here is mostly to get discussion/comments on stuff I have mixed feelings about. I never post stuff here that I hate or love.

You could spend more time printing photos if you want, but you'll never get as many people looking at them as you would by posting them online. And since our hobby/profession is one where the end-product is intended for show, I'd say putting our photos online is as good as it gets.

Besides hanging them on a wall with a group of other knowledgeable photographers and having a critique. It's a lot more productive because of the ability to speak to the artist in person. No misconstrued statements, and you can just blurt out your idea when you get them. It also forces the people giving critique to stare at the image while they talk about it.

What I put up on here is mostly to get discussion/comments on stuff I have mixed feelings about. I never post stuff here that I hate or love.

I do the same. Though if I took an image i thought was exceptional I'd probably share it with you guys!!

I do the same. Though if I took an image i thought was exceptional I'd probably share it with you guys!!

Yeah, true, mostly should have said "rarely."

Also I don't put any work I do for pay up here either, just free stuff I did that was personal or that I did for free (and I usually have them sign a contract even for free stuff, so that I clearly have the rights to do whatever I want with the images).

To be totally honest, it blows my mind that people post stuff here that clients paid for.

I don't know, I guess it depends on the what the images are of.. plus its always helpful to get crit on the work you are selling to people.. to make sure you're giving them their money's worth.

I don't know, I guess it depends on the what the images are of.. plus its always helpful to get crit on the work you are selling to people.. to make sure you're giving them their money's worth.
I can't even imagine though if a client somehow stumbled upon an image posted on here for critique and saw other photographers pointing out all the ways in which you messed it up, and they paid for that image.

Do you know how hard it is to get external validation with prints, though? Ugh...You have go find someone, have them look at the prints, and then stare at them until they give you the gratification you crave. Soooo much work.

Online, I can just zap an image to Flickr and then get the sweet affirmation that keeps my self-esteem intact, all while eating Nutella in my underwear.

Last edited:
Do you know how hard it is to get external validation with prints, though? Ugh...You have go find someone, have them look at the prints, and then stare at them until they give you the gratification you crave. Soooo much work.

Online, I can just zap an image to Flickr and then get the sweet affirmation that keeps my self-esteem intact.
that's what I use instagram for. Put up a picture of a backlit dogwood? Bam 20 likes. Picture of my #coffee with steam rising off, boom, 30 likes. But then my girlfriend posts a bathroom mirror selfie and, welp, 200 likes, haha.

Most reactions

Back