The oddity of online photo posting

bribrius

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It is too easy. you will never meet most people. what you print or would show personally i am sure it much better than what you throw online.

It feels like you are doing "something" when you really may not be. Again, it is easy. I am starting to think if i really wanted to be doing "something" i should probably be putting REAL work out there and trying to display in real life. Posting photos online seems a low involvement cop out.

Time. I am starting to think of a few sites i have regularly posted too. And what better uses i could have used for that time instead of tossing up photos. Facebook included. As it doesn't really seem a great use of time.

Less print. If i spent as much time concerning myself with printing photos vs. online digital media. I would probably have more photos printed.

Peoples dislikes or likes. See above. I should probably concern myself more with what i want to put on my wall or in a real show. Than what ten thousand no name people on facebook or where ever i put photos thinks.

Things look different in actual size and print. Again, kind of put into question the digital media idea. It seems the way the world is going though. wifi, quick uploads, quick sharing. I am starting to wonder seriously of the value of most of it.

thoughts?

And yet, here you are.
Wasting time when you could be printing photos.

You could spend more time printing photos if you want, but you'll never get as many people looking at them as you would by posting them online. And since our hobby/profession is one where the end-product is intended for show, I'd say putting our photos online is as good as it gets.

I print quite a few photos and have a reasonable portfolio, which I review and revise from time to time, but also enjoy the online experience. There are a few people locally that I can show my photos to and get objective feedback and sound advice from, however, we don't see one another all that often and I find posting images here a very good way of putting them to the test.

Printing doesn't take that long.

I mean sure it takes a while at first to get the balance of exposure in the shot right so that it prints well;but the actual act of printing is pretty quick for digital. Just get the file and press print - or send it off to the company to be ordered.

So I don't see how being online and posting a photo takes away so much time that you then can't print.

As for display and holding back the best; well that's your choice. Most might hold back some photos or hold back those which are just purely personal; but as said ours is a visual medium and most who come online do so to share their work that they do. To share, talk and interact with those of a like mind and similar interest (something they might not find in person in reality where many will be "nice shot" and then move on in seconds)

I'm the worst procrastinater since...i dunno, I'll figure it out later.

Printing doesn't take that long.

I mean sure it takes a while at first to get the balance of exposure in the shot right so that it prints well;but the actual act of printing is pretty quick for digital. Just get the file and press print - or send it off to the company to be ordered.

So I don't see how being online and posting a photo takes away so much time that you then can't print.

As for display and holding back the best; well that's your choice. Most might hold back some photos or hold back those which are just purely personal; but as said ours is a visual medium and most who come online do so to share their work that they do. To share, talk and interact with those of a like mind and similar interest (something they might not find in person in reality where many will be "nice shot" and then move on in seconds)
i dunno. i was asked a week ago on exhibiting work. i havent exactly jumped up to print and matte or even signed for the slot. I would have to go through photos, decided what to print. Send it for print. Got to the store to get matte and frames. Figure out where my display section is. All sounds like a lot of work. Easier sitting here typing.

Posting online is tough because it's so easy for viewers to just click away from an image and not bother with it.

If you put a print into someone's hand, or at least display a digital image for a group of people in a room, then the viewer is kind of stuck with it at least for a minute and may feel forced to think and comment about it. It also may help that in this situation the viewer knows you have made more than a negligible effort to show that image, especially with a print, but even with digital display because there is more selectivity and effort required than to just upload a bunch of stuff online.

I do both of these things and find the latter more satisfying and productive, but hey, the internet and the forums are here, so why not? I don't spend so much time on here that I can't do other things.

Likes, +1s, Faves. They're addictive. They're also incredibly harmful.

Mainly, people who partake of photography-related-social-networking hand out approval or disapproval based on whether or not they like the photographer personally. The personal like or dislike may or may not be based in part of liking some photographs made by that photographer in the past.

If you make a couple of OK pictures, and hand out approval to like-minded people like candy, they will generally reciprocate, because they're human, and because that it how the game is played. After a while it simply becomes a case of 'Oh it's that guy! Great shot, love your work, as always!' as a spinal reflex.

People rarely actually *look* at photos they see online.
  • Pretty girl? +1 great shot!
  • My friend Susie? Great shot!
  • That one guy who gave me a +Disagree? Terrible shot, the... thing.. totally draws my eye and kills the shot!
Actually looking at an image and trying to make sense of it it work, so mostly what we get is "I like it" or "I don't like it" which is, all to often "I like you" or "I don't like you".

Most reactions

Back