The one word I would ban

oh please oh please dont ban "cool". It is frustrating when I get to a picture and everyone one has given all the advice that I could ever think of. Then on top of that... I lack photography knowledge (which I have to admit is growing since I came here) so all I can say is "cool" to put my thoughts in as well just so that the photographer knows that I am in agreeance with the people who left comments above me.

MrSid, try to hold the ALT button and then give in 156 on the numeric block and see what happens ;). Whenever I do that (for there is no £-sign on my German keyboard, either, but ä, and ö and ü and ß !) this is what I get: £ -- heehee :mrgreen:

åß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬…æ÷≥≤µ~∫√ç≈Ωœ∑´®†¥¨^øπ“≠ºª•¶§∞¢#€¡
ŸÛÙÇ◊ıˆ˜¯˘¿ÆÚÒÔÓÌÏÎÍÅŒ„‰ÂÊÁËÈØ∏±°‡flfi›‹™⁄

Ah, the miracle that is the Mac with it's 'alt' key.

Wow, I am so impressed, Hertz.
But where is the ß ??? Hm? Hm?
(I don't know the ASCII-code for that, mind you ... I just HAVE it here).

As for me, if someone calls my images "cool" .. I can live with that even though he or she did not tell my WHY he thinks it is cool ... but if he or she just says "That sucks!" ... then I would insist on an explanation or ignore him from then on ... even if he might be right, but if he doesn't bother to explain why ... :p

Ms. LaFoto, its the second character he typed! :greenpbl:

MrSid, try to hold the ALT button and then give in 156 on the numeric block and see what happens ;). Whenever I do that (for there is no £-sign on my German keyboard, either, but ä, and ö and ü and ß !) this is what I get: £ -- heehee :mrgreen:

COOL!

(I appreciate the info' but I already knew that...I'm just far too lazy, so much easier to blame the keyboard!
Thanks anyway.)

Quite seriously if the only thing you have to worry about in your life is the word "cool" on a forum you have a great life.

I could go on about the starving children in Africa but I won't waste everybodies time, but what I will say is maybe there are other forums where only people who you will class as "qualified" can give you the opinion you're after (I know they're out there).

Alot of the opinions on here not only come from a technical perpective but from a personal perspective, and that is why they choose to use the word "cool", being that "cool" is a word they use in their everyday vocab, and it is usually used in a complimentary way, so frankly, I don't know what your problem is.

Just because you say "cool" is "not cool", doesn't mean it's true.

One word I can now add to my TPF vocab is jackass.

Quite seriously if the only thing you have to worry about in your life is the word "cool" on a forum you have a great life.

I doubt this is his only problems as we all have other problems. But those lie outside this forum and will never be discussed here.

But if someone wants to discuss the way people comment on his images and what he does not like about it, then the forum is the right and only place to do so. Nobody's time is wasted, as this discussion takes place in one thread only, and who thinks it is a waste of time can simply ignore it.

There are subtle differences in the way we feel about certain phrases and terms ... language and how it is received is a complicated thing: it very much depends on the personal background (not as in worse or better background, but in different background). And for some "cool" sounds disrespectful, for others not. Just as for Brits "p i s s e d" means "drunk" and for Yanks it means "angry".

Furthermore, main critizism was more in undiffrentiated comments, than in the particular word "cool". I think if you say "The image is cool, especially the way you used the shallow DOF to emphasize the main subject.", then that would very well be appreciated by the_traveler.

I think some people take this thread way too personal...

:hug:: to all of you! :wink:

Most reactions

Back