• 7.Size and weight of camera

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • 8.Ergonomics

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • 9.Price

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • 10.Design

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • 11.Maker (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Panasonic....etc)

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • 12.Burst speed and buffer size

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • 13.How good the auto focus is

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • 14.More (please add bellow)

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters

goodguy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When you ready to pull trigger on a new camera what are the important factors for you to choose the next model.
This is a multiple choice poll

I checked off 8 of the 14 things, lol. Didn't really narrow it down much. And that was trying to keep it to just THE most important things.

But I'd also point out: The items I selected were only those aspects that are CURRENTLY most important to me, the ones I'd use right now, today, to choose a new camera (and since I *did* buy one recently, the ones I considered most heavily at the time a few months ago). But that's all related to how and what I shoot, right now.
In a year, two years, five years--whenever I'm ready for another camera--I honestly can't say my "most important" criteria will remain the same. For instance, right now, size and weight doesn't bother me much. Even though I'm "just a girl" I heft my D800 with the Sigma 150-500 lens attached and carry it for hours at a time. But I'm not gonna be able to do that forever--there may come a day when it becomes far more important to have something lighter and smaller.

Price.

Because in all honesty that's the biggest criteria. IF one sticks to a single brand there really isn't huge competition at each price level with different versions of cameras with features; esp in the DSLR market. So whilst things like Dynamic range and high ISO are important; they really are secondary to price.

Because in the end price determines what you can get and generally speaking the more you spend the better most of those other features get. The other features really only enter into it if you're considering switching brands and even then price point tends to mean you're battling only a couple of cameras together.

After price I'd say format is also high on the importance list; maybe more so in that it often generally is the first thing you "pick" to start making choices from; however again price has an impact (somewhat more so at the extreme ends). If you're on budget its going to affect the sensor/ film size you can get; whilst if you've got a much higher budget you've a lot more on the table.

In my case, price will dictate if I purchase or not, but it will not affect my choice. First I determine the requirements, then determine the best equipment to meet those requirements, then look if I can afford it or not; but to then go out and buy equipments that does not meet the requirement because I don't have the funds at this time, well, that just seem like a major waste of the funds I do have, sound pretty idiotic to me in fact.

Within my budget image quality is solely factor

9, 6, 13, 12, and 14 = Confirmation I made the best choice for what I shoot so I can recommend my choice to everyone else no matter what they shoot.

#14. The end result. (ie. IQ)

surprised you left that off the list.

surprised you left that off the list.
Well IQ is a factor of many things, body is just one, I think more then anything lenses are the prime suspects when talking about IQ so I left that out.
I guess I could have stuck that in.

IQ? What does that even mean?

Image Quality.

There's only one criteria I have for buying anything:

That it does what I want it to do.

This applies to cameras, lenses, filters, vehicles, socks, houses, cell phones, lunch...........

For my most recent purchase, high ISO capability and super-accurate auto focus were my most important must-have features. Add to that IQ, compatible with lenses I currently own (#14), and full frame.

Cant spent the same euro twice, and photography doesnt generate any income for me.

So it has to last for quite a while.

Thus it has to be better than my last camera, and substantly so. Otherwise I rather keep saving up until a camera comes along (or turns affordable) that IS an improvement.

Oh, and yes I have very specific requirements. I like to shoot people, and I often work in dark environments. Thus large sensors and bright primes it is.

Most of the ones listed are important to me, but 1, 7 and 9 stand out. It comes down to what Sparky said: "it does what I want it to do."

Most reactions

New Topics

Back