Thinking about picking up the XT-2

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by kalgra, Oct 21, 2017.

1. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Yes but it's been mentioned the X-T2 is much better than the X-T1 other then the jump from a 16mp to 24mp sensor.

2. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I missed this post, a little late to the game. I bought mine because I was frustrated with my Nikon system. I borrowed a XT1 and made the switch (XT2) because of image quality, focus accuracy, and mirrored film camera external controls. The XT2 was a significant upgrade to the XT1. The ergomics are perfect for me. I also have the battery grip which makes the battery thing a non issue which may be important when using on a tripod.

As far as post, I rarely edit much other than crop, I just convert in camera. The free silkypix software does a great job for most things and keeps the color and renders true to camera.

Not mentioned is the creative control you have with this camera via the ability to create your own custom film simulations and placing them in your quick menu. I rarely go into the main menu. Additionally, you can add your often used settings in the quick menu, huge advantage.

Additionally, the use of adapters opens up a whole new world of possibilities for affordable, legacy glass. I recently bought a Tair 11a and it is an absolute blast to use. The focus peaking highlights make manual focus a breeze. So you can use your existing macro lens.

They also have a extension tube (MCEX11) and when added to say the kit lens, gives you a macro lens. I don't care for it on their 60mm macro (1:2) as you got to get real close where as the 18-55 gives you a little more range from subject. Huge bonus for traveling light.

Another key thing is their firmware updates. These are always significant and offer real improvements. I've had mine for less than a year and have enjoyed 3 major updates that enhance the system and taking nothing away.

Their customer service is fantastic from what I've read. Recently, there have been a few negative videos, one is from total abuse, another is totally not the norm, and the other is just plain idiotic.

3. kalgra

kalgra TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks agin everyone I really do appreciate everyone's input!

@jcdeboever
    You bring up a good point and the only real concern I have about this camera and that is using it with adapters. While I love the idea of dabbling with some old legacy glass the flip side to this is that using any of my canon glass on this camera is not really an option for me. As far as I am aware due to the internal aperture control canon uses. I can't even use my manual focus macros lens for this because I'd have no way to change the aperature without first mounting the lens to a canon body, setting the aperture then diconeecting the lens. I have not found an EF to X mount adapter anywhere which has contacts to allow for this. I really hope someone comes out with one. I could care less about auto focus I use manual Zeiss classic lenses all the time but not being able to change aperture is the one and only thing that makes me reconsider Sony. Not being able to use my existing collection of macro lenses or manual Zeiss glass on this body does really bother me. I'm pretty sure I can get over it but still.

Does anyone know why a smart adapter does not exist to all changing aperature on canon?

4. astroNikon

Photos OK to edit
    I'll be getting a X-T20 or more preferably a X-T2 when the finances can afford it. I prefer the feature set with color controls that JCD mentions which is absent on the X-T20; plus the grip.

I'm also still looking at SONY too but have always preferred Fuji even since before I bought my D7000 years ago.

5. Ysarex

Ysarex Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    It does: KIPON EOS-FX A adapter will allow you to mount your Canon EF lenses on a Fuji X body and have aperture control.

Joe

• Like Like x 1
  6. jcdeboever

Photos OK to edit
    If the lens has an aperture ring, you wouldn't need any fancy adapter, the $10 ones work great. It may not indicate it in the view finder but it still works as normal. Not sure about infinity focus things but I have not encountered any issues there with several Canon fd, and m42 glass.

As Joe stated above, there is a vialble option for the non a-ring glass.

7. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

What appeals to me about the X-T2 is having a knob on the top of the camera to set ISO. The camera has that as well as knobs for shutter speed and exposure comp. The rangefinder style bodies don't have it and neither does the T20. In the old days our ISO was determined by the film we loaded. I'm accustomed to putting in an ISO in the menu and leaving it alone but the ISO knob would certainly provide some added convenience and get me adjusting it often.

8. jcdeboever

Photos OK to edit
  9. kalgra

kalgra TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks @Ysarex I should have mentioned that I did find these types of adapters with the added aperture ring inside them. Although the one you linked seems better quality that the ones I found most had very poor reviews. Do you or anyone else have experience with these or know of any downsides to using them? I don't recall for sure but I want to say some reviews mentioned inferior bokeh and significantly worse vignetting over the lenses native aperture.

10. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Leaving Nikon? Or just supplementing it?

11. astroNikon

Photos OK to edit
    supplementing

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ysarex

Ysarex Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

Inferior bokeh? That's a reviewer who doesn't know what he/she is talking about. Lens bokeh can't be altered by a mount adapter.

Joe