This site is falling apart..

you need to tilt the camera the shot is far too straight

While a tomato with a woodie is interesting, the horizon's not straight, it needs to be HDR'd to within an inch of it's life, and you should have used an orange with a similar feature, held with the right hand, in the rain, at night, using two eBay 30ws strobes, a 40" gold reflector, and anything sold by Gary Fong. Oh yeah, and the tomato is WAY oversharpened - so much so that it's gone past sharp, sharper and ultra-sharp, all the way into "blurry" again. You should clone out that distracting thumbnail.

Is this better?

a11bedb8.png

Add some noise to make it look like it was shot at ISO 3,200.

This thread has given me a new perspective on critique. I have been one of those people that hasn't given a lot of C&C in the past simply because I never wanted to come across as being a prick. If I open a post with an image that I feel is not very good I usually just don't comment at all. When someone posts pictures of their children or family or anything else very close to them it's hard for me to pick it apart. The same goes for my own pictures of my family. I guess I need to get over that. Some very good posts in this thread.

I think the critique on critiquing needs to be critiqued

Where are the critique police?????????????????

This thread has given me a new perspective on critique. I have been one of those people that hasn't given a lot of C&C in the past simply because I never wanted to come across as being a prick. If I open a post with an image that I feel is not very good I usually just don't comment at all. When someone posts pictures of their children or family or anything else very close to them it's hard for me to pick it apart. The same goes for my own pictures of my family. I guess I need to get over that. Some very good posts in this thread.

I think there is an important distinction to be made between critiquing the photograph and critiquing the subject. Pointing out that a photograph has flaws is different than telling someone that their kid is ugly (that's kinda off limits around here). Also, one can often avoid being perceived as a prick by being a bit diplomatic in their approach. Granted, there are those who are hyper-sensitive to criticism, thus it baffles me that they ask for it in the first place. I guess instead of requesting C&C, they should just ask for empty praise (and reserve the right to complain about 137 views with only 1 reply).

hmm - I'm pretty danged new to photography as a hobby and haven't felt I could offer much to people yet. Sometimes I can tell what I liked in particular or didn't or I would change but I often can't tel someone how to do it. Maybe that's okay after all.

As a newbie, I want to say I came here to learn. I appreciate the time people take to tell me what I can do to improve and I try to never post just "here's a photo, what do you think?" posts. Usually I have either something to relate about the shooting situation or a specific question and I try to ask it.

I know from the writing world that each time criticism is offered, the offerer takes a chance that the person they are trying to help actually wants help and note strokes of the ego. The reactions can be bad sometimes if the person didn't really want criticism and I know how wearying that can be since it's not like it's anyone's JOB here to help newbs like me.

So thanks! Now to pay it forward as best I can so far :)

This thread is falling apart. It's now too blurry and too much noise. It started off very sharp, focus and had good exposure....then it was PP to death. :(

Another shining example of why people dont critique much anymore...

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...m-photo-gallery/217632-wedding-9-11-10-a.html

All I can say I am a newbie but I know how to handle criticism, filter it as much as I can for my learning.

This thread is pretty obvious that It will recieved those critcism and he must listen and learn from it (He was paid for that work).

But a critique should also be constructive enough.

(You will get better if you keep trying. Don't let a rough reception here discourage you.) -Derrels comment is what I like there.

(You are not good but keep on trying there are more worst than your work posted in this forum)

but but but.... I am a newbie and we should know when to ask payment for our service.

I think there is an important distinction to be made between critiquing the photograph and critiquing the subject. Pointing out that a photograph has flaws is different than telling someone that their kid is ugly (that's kinda off limits around here). Also, one can often avoid being perceived as a prick by being a bit diplomatic in their approach. Granted, there are those who are hyper-sensitive to criticism, thus it baffles me that they ask for it in the first place. I guess instead of requesting C&C, they should just ask for empty praise (and reserve the right to complain about 137 views with only 1 reply).

I myself is a sensitive guy but I do always welcome criticism because I know how to filter those which can help me in improving.

hahaha I am really getting crazy with this C&C!

- Don't post if obviously you will get bad feedback (evaluate your work)

- Label your post "how can I improve this"

get ready to get different feedback because this is a public forum and you will get many helpful and discouragement from newbies also (pretending to be pro) and those pro's who have superiority attitude (NOT ALL).....

Photography Beginners' Forum & Photo Gallery - means we need help because we are newbies and we want to learn from you guys who are in photography for years or may I say decades.....

I think this is not falling because I get a lot of ideas and help here while studying outside this forum.

:lol::lol::lol:

I like the comments regarding the "Superiority" of the Pro's, do you lot think most pro's picked up a camera yesterday, because that's how it comes across, I was a hobby photographer for twenty years plus before I decided to make a career out of this game. Being older meant assisting was pretty much out of the question, I could hand print black n white but had no experience with colour hand printing, I enrolled in college and for two years learnt as much as I could.

A good portfolio is important to clients, but knowing how you get a good portfolio is equally important, before college, like several here my knowledge came from reading and shooting, some things were still confusing, college tidied these issues up in my case, my portfolio improved. A good portfolio does not come from shooting millions of shots to pick out the 12 or so good ones, think about the shot before you press the shutter release, plan the shoot and take what you need, I don't shoot a thousand at a wedding, I don't need to, I also don't need the extra work involved in PP, what I do need is a ninety percent capture rate, my knowledge gets me this, I shoot accordingly.

Critique, no-one likes it, I rarely give it, but see posters who were asking which camera to buy 3 months back, giving out big stick, usually wrong or at best confused, then others who never say what is wrong, totally unhelpful. If you don't want or can't take critique don't ask for it. In two years college every single image I submitted was given critique, over colour mostly, the reason was to train a students eye, even though my colour vision is fine the brain compensates for casts, so knowing what your looking for is the key.

A lot of those with experience decided to leave due to being flamed by inexperienced newbs, who, like the majority of this internet breed, think they know it all after being on a few fora or having read some amateur photography mag and went out and bought their consumer SLR, this was a grave loss to the forum so if your willing to learn shut up and take the crit in the way its meant, so you learn from mistakes, and, if you have little experience, also shut up, as the confusion spread by those who don't understand the written word very well is also detrimental to the forum as a whole.

Pro's have no superiority complex because they shoot with Pro spec cameras, have suffered the education system or any other reason, cameras are cameras, knowledge is about learning from mistakes and not making them again, if imparting some of that knowledge upsets ten people and teaches one person something of value then that's a success.

I look in here every day, see all kinds of posts talking of white balance, when its actually a colour cast, totally different things, unless the cast is caused by not using a filter with film or white balance correction in camera when shooting under artificial light. Then there's the multitude of posts referring to blown highlights on someones shot when the numpty is sat looking at a laptop screen or cheap uncalibrated monitor, these are just two instances where two words can help. Shut Up. Then, as others have already mentioned, its the shot of the sidewalk/tomato/oof anything, you don't want critique on these, the recycle bin is the only remedy, bin it and shoot something of interest before showing it off on the net.

My final say on this lot, is that just because you have a few lucky shots under your belt lets refrain from calling yourselves Photographers, building websites containing ten images and calling yourselves names like "creative photography" or other such $hit while asking the most simple questions on sites like this, your simply not such and such photography, your simply another camera user till your knowledge expands considerably, remember if you can't CONSISTENTLY produce images like those you show prospective clients, YOU ARE NOT A PHOTOGRAPHER. H

I disagree with the last statement. Anyone with a camera is a photographer. Just as anyone with a car and a liscence is a driver. You have good ones, you have bad ones and a select few are professionals. But they are all drivers at different levels.

....My final say on this lot, is that just because you have a few lucky shots under your belt lets refrain from calling yourselves Photographers, building websites containing ten images and calling yourselves names like "creative photography" or other such $hit while asking the most simple questions on sites like this, your simply not such and such photography, your simply another camera user till your knowledge expands considerably, remember if you can't CONSISTENTLY produce images like those you show prospective clients, YOU ARE NOT A PHOTOGRAPHER. H
This is so funny because it's so true, when I first logged onto a photography forum I thought it weird that all of these "pros" seemed to not know things that I knew even though I had just started, then I realized that a lot of people will register as "azphoto or BDphotography" with watermarked images and everything even though they just bought their camera.

I disagree with the last statement. Anyone with a camera is a photographer. Just as anyone with a car and a liscence is a driver. You have good ones, you have bad ones and a select few are professionals. But they are all drivers at different levels.
I like this analogy, but feel the term "photographer" carries with it the connotation of someone who takes it seriously either from a work or hobby prospective. If you asked someone taking a picture with their phone if they thought they were a photographer they'd likely say no, they are just taking a picture. Technically they are still a photographer, as they are engaging in the act of photography, but they do not see themselves that way. Hell, when people ask me if I'm a photographer I say no, that it's just a hobby; as the implication is that I somehow earn an income from taking pictures.

all of my friends have SLR and we love taking photos with each others and we all begin with zero knowledge with photography but look at them now 14 out of 19 are in demand photographers and 5 of us were left behind :(

there is no impossible when you are willing to learn from good people and real pro's who motivates your passion for a certain hobby you want to upgrade! ( you can never tell a newbie if which way he could go but I think there is no way of getting worse when your passionate enough and you love photography)

I will repost my comment before in one thread ---- hihihi

Yeay! me myself can take constructive criticism but not those negative comments from newbies who are trying hard to be "I am a pro, I am in Photography for long time"!

I can see 30% are professionals in attitude and in the line of photography. I salute them for giving us inspiration, honest but motivating comments ;)

and a big HELLO to those try 65% newbies who pretends to be a pro (LOL)

maybe someone will ask me where is the 5%? this are the professionals who are making discouragement. LOL

Bigtwinky your one of those 30% ^__^ our big thanks to you in behalf of newbies ;)

Last edited:

I like this analogy, but feel the term "photographer" carries with it the connotation of someone who takes it seriously either from a work or hobby prospective. If you asked someone taking a picture with their phone if they thought they were a photographer they'd likely say no, they are just taking a picture. Technically they are still a photographer, as they are engaging in the act of photography, but they do not see themselves that way. Hell, when people ask me if I'm a photographer I say no, that it's just a hobby; as the implication is that I somehow earn an income from taking pictures.

Great point. :thumbup:

You can undestand all the technical, compositinal, mechanical theory you want - heck you can know the ins and outs of a camera and the art of photography and still fail to be a pro.

In fact its often shown that hobbyists are often just as if not more skilled than those who work at something as their profession (within limits mostly limited to the arts but not totally). A professional has somehow come to be the term used to describe (at the same time) both those who earn and income through their photography and those who have a great level of skill with the camera.
The two definations are used together (by most people) and yet refer to two very different groups of people, as well of course to those who mange to cover both aspects.

There are pros out there who don't know all the details of the camera -they don't know the best 3rd party radio poppers on the market - they don't know all the ins and outs of flash control - heck they might not even know what ISO means or just what aperture is. The key however is that they are able to produce a product on demand for a client that they and their client are pleased with and willing to pay for.

Similarly you can be the next Andsel Adams of photography but be unable to deliver a product or unable to market yourself and thus not make an income from you work.

Most reactions

Back