TPF Con 2005! Joshua Tree National Park

Do you plan on attending?

• Total voters
MDowdey said:
hey listen, you dont really know me outside of here, but im doing the same thing. and i have a morbid fear of flying.
md

As do I but I found a cure..it's called booze.

steve817 said:
MDowdey said:
hey listen, you dont really know me outside of here, but im doing the same thing. and i have a morbid fear of flying.
md

As do I but I found a cure..it's called booze.

oh i would do the same if my liver could handle it. :lol:

md

MDowdey said:
core_17 said:
Ok...I still haven't asked Erik if he'll go with me (hopefully I will ask him tommorrow), but....I'm trying my best to work up the courage to go on my own if he says no. So...keep them encouraging words coming!!! Tell me that it's NOT that scary travelling somewhere far away and unfamilir all alone on a plane for the first time ever.....

hey listen, you dont really know me outside of here, but im doing the same thing. and i have a morbid fear of flying. you just gotta take a chance!!! do it before its too late and you cant get away so easily.

md

But the thing is, the furthest I've EVER traveled on my own was yo a town called Joliet, a bit outside of Chicago. It's 2 hours away, and so easy to get to I only had to make two three turns once I got on the interstate outside my town...one to get onto another interstate, one was my Joliet exit, and one to turn in to Walgreens (I was there for work!)

core_17 said:
MDowdey said:
core_17 said:
Ok...I still haven't asked Erik if he'll go with me (hopefully I will ask him tommorrow), but....I'm trying my best to work up the courage to go on my own if he says no. So...keep them encouraging words coming!!! Tell me that it's NOT that scary travelling somewhere far away and unfamilir all alone on a plane for the first time ever.....

hey listen, you dont really know me outside of here, but im doing the same thing. and i have a morbid fear of flying. you just gotta take a chance!!! do it before its too late and you cant get away so easily.

md

But the thing is, the furthest I've EVER traveled on my own was yo a town called Joliet, a bit outside of Chicago. It's 2 hours away, and so easy to get to I only had to make two three turns once I got on the interstate outside my town...one to get onto another interstate, one was my Joliet exit, and one to turn in to Walgreens (I was there for work!)

sweetie, ive never traveled anywhere by myself at all. so dont be afraid!!! i wanna see some of this beautiful earth before its gone for good.

md

Corry my dear, you need to break down and decide to go buck wild. Pack your bags in haste, tie up your shoes and say "I'm outta here, dunno what's gonna happen but I'll call when I get a chance".

Just go with the flow and appreciate the now and not the 'what if'.

Granted all people are different when it comes to these things but how will ever know if you don't like to travel if you don't try it first? And it's not like you're going out on your own. You'll atleast be with other people you've had a basic introduction too and they actually want you there.

So quit looking for excuses, tell your boyfriend "Hey, guess where I'm going in March?" and get yourself out here. It'll make you feel good, trust us :twisted:

I wanna see it too!!! Thankfully you guys all proposed this trip early enough that I have plenty of time to do tons of research on every little thing...If I know what to expect, it's not as scary!

If I know what to expect, it's not as scary!
But then it's not us fun either. Toss that itinerary and travel into the abyss of the unknown.

OK, maybe that's not the best thing for a first time travler so we'll allow you ONE travel guide :wink:

Trust me, It'll still be fun...my problem is that I'm afraid I'll miss my plane or get lost or something...or do something wrong, with all the tight security on planes and stuff. I'm almost afraid to pack a hairbrush as it might be viewed as a lethal weapon. I just want to be an informed traveler...I want things to go smoothly.

If there end up being a small group of people that fly into Ontario, we'll have to try to arrange arrival times to be as close as possible. We could probably chip in and rent a full-size van if enough people plan on coming in. Either that, or rent a couple of SUVs or something.

Corry, don't worry, you'll be great! Last year I moved from MN to NH all by myself in my little 91 Geo Prizm. It took 3 days, I didn't know where I was going to stay each night, I just drove until dinner time and found a place. It was the best trip I've ever taken. Prior to that I had never driven more than a few hours by myself, and I am 25!

I am going to do my best to be there in March, it will be a fabulous trip. The only thing that could keep me away is coming up with the money. Traveling is a great adventure. Sure, it's scary to go by yourself, but flying is pretty easy. I've flown quite a bit since 9/11 and there's been no problems. Occasionally they will do a search of my bags but otherwise it's been very smooth. Just think of how much fun it will be to actually be there and the getting there doesn't seem so bad anymore.

Chase said:
If there end up being a small group of people that fly into Ontario, we'll have to try to arrange arrival times to be as close as possible. We could probably chip in and rent a full-size van if enough people plan on coming in. Either that, or rent a couple of SUVs or something.

Wouldn't it be closer to Joshua Tree to fly into LA or Palm Springs???

Ontario airport is actually on the eastern edge of Los Angeles :) The main LA airport (LAX) is about an hour further away.

I'm not sure what kind of flight service they have for Palm Springs....

Never mind....I just noticed when I went to Yahoo Maps and entered Ontario, CA it showed me the state, but said the city cannot be found..so the star was in the middle of the state, not where the town should be.

Oh here's some more cholla to drool over ;)

08070403.jpg

MDowdey said:
core_17 said:
MDowdey said:
core_17 said:

md

sweetie, ive never traveled anywhere by myself at all. so dont be afraid!!! i wanna see some of this beautiful earth before its gone for good.

md

Corry - Until last April, I had never been anywhere alone. While I had some reservations about traveling alone, I realized that I was never going to see Kentucky Bluegrass unless I just went. My family wasn't interested in going so I signed up for a photo workshop and booked my flight before I could lose my nerve. I arrived several days early and had a blast. I was up early every day (and I'm not a morning person) and just wandered around taking pictures every day and night until the workshop started. I did what I wanted, ate where I wanted and stopped to enjoy the scenery whenever I wanted. I missed my family but I realized that doing something like this for myself once in a while was so good for my soul. Don't let your fears make you miss out on some wonderful things in life. Now, don't you have some tickets to order??? :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back