(uh oh its a wedding thread) PESSIMISTS: Do NOT enter! REALISTS: Please come in! OPTIMISTS: I <3 you

Do I need a contract if I am not charging?
Tell them you need at least one TTL flash for the wedding, and that you would do it for the price of one with a set of triggers :1219:

Since there's no money changing hands it might or might not be a contract, but you do want an AGREEMENT which includes what the couple expects, when you're supposed to show up, what you're supposed to deliver, I try and include the formals shoot list too, that way if they start getting ridiculous (We want one of great Aunt Matilda with each of the grand-children and the bride's second cousins....) you can say, sorry, that was not discussed and we don't have time for it. It depends in part on your personality, but I like to have well-established parameters to work within for a wedding and not have any doubt about "Was I supposed to shoot that?" or "Did they want that for wall art?"

Tell them you need at least one TTL flash for the wedding, and that you would do it for the price of one with a set of triggers :1219:
Once I charge, even if it was for a flash- wouldn't that make me a "professional" and then require that I carry insurance??.....

Okay, I will nix the pre wedding shoot idea.

The last wedding I attended- the photographer ( who said he had done this for 30+ years) waited until the flowers were DEAD to do the ring shots in them. I was SMH when I saw him do it and thought "maybe he has a vision" Then I saw the album- nope, just rings in half dead flowers. I was so sad for the bride! Not to self- if the flowers are dead- use something else!
Yikes, or at least redo the shot afterwards with fresh flowers.

I'll say this, and this is not to piss off wedding phographers who actually have skill and care.

I think you would be fine because you are looking for advise and care about your end product. I'm not saying you'll be a threat to many pros but I'd imagine from seeing you here on forum you would get the job done.

I was recently at a wedding where the pro had 2 D3 cameras with a 14-24 and 24-70 lens. I guessed before I saw his photos that they would be craps and they were. He had 2 D3s but no idea. There is a difference between one who has lots of gear and does a wedding, and those who have an interest in photography and seek advice about doing a wedding.

Good luck

Once I charge, even if it was for a flash- wouldn't that make me a "professional" and then require that I carry insurance??.....
That would depend on local laws & regulations, but I doubt it. Regardless, it's not "pay"; you simply let them know that while you're doing this gratis, you need a certain item of equipment that you can't currently afford, and if they could procure it for you...

I don't know about Colorado but in California there's no requirement for carrying insurance, it's just a good practice. The flip side is that even if you aren't a "professional" you're still liable if something goes wrong. So if your flash catches fire and burns the place down or even if your assistant isn't paying attention and knocks over the wedding cake, it still can come back around to you.

That being said, I'd do it. Insurance really isn't that expensive.

Write a contract with the bride and groom that covers exactly what you are going to do for them and make it for $1.00. Collect the dollar.
The contract will cover you.

Okay, I will nix the pre wedding shoot idea.

The last wedding I attended- the photographer ( who said he had done this for 30+ years) waited until the flowers were DEAD to do the ring shots in them. I was SMH when I saw him do it and thought "maybe he has a vision" Then I saw the album- nope, just rings in half dead flowers. I was so sad for the bride! Not to self- if the flowers are dead- use something else!
Yikes, or at least redo the shot afterwards with fresh flowers.
Right?! Or use something ELSE! They had tons of lovely decorations/candles/handmade pieces that could have been substituted! I would have redone it myself- but I was on crutches and couldn't bring my camera!
I'll say this, and this is not to piss off wedding phographers who actually have skill and care.

I think you would be fine because you are looking for advise and care about your end product. I'm not saying you'll be a threat to many pros but I'd imagine from seeing you here on forum you would get the job done.

I was recently at a wedding where the pro had 2 D3 cameras with a 14-24 and 24-70 lens. I guessed before I saw his photos that they would be craps and they were. He had 2 D3s but no idea. There is a difference between one who has lots of gear and does a wedding, and those who have an interest in photography and seek advice about doing a wedding.

Good luck

Thank you for the kind words! They are treasured. Its a big commitment, and I do not always Handel stress well (leading up to the "moment" but I usually find some inner piece when I need to charge on! {Art of me feels like I could let them own either way. If I say no, they could hire a a nightmare- if I say yes, I could BE their nightmare! :giggle: :sigh:

Okay, these quotes are getting CRAZY! Leet me try this tagging business!
@TreeofLifeStairs I might look into it. But it seems like a hassle for just one day.... Can you even get insurance for one day? lol
@tirediron I wonder if I can rent a flash/bracket setup! I will consider asking them to buy, but I am not sure what their financial status is right now. I believe the groom was out of a job for a bit, which may be why they are coming to me.
@dannybell thanks for the tip!

This is my advice...take it or leave it...

Please don't do this shoot for FREE. Look how much work you are doing ALREADY and think about how much work you WILL be doing between now and until they have the final photos.

I would AT LEAST have them pay you $500....and here is why...

You said its you or craigslist...well how much do you think someone off Craigslist would charge them for a wedding?

Anyone worth ANYTHING would charge more than $500.

You will most likely be preparing for this photo shoot between now and the wedding, spending a lot of time and even your own money ( gas / expenses ), plus you are most likely going to have 1,000 or so photos to go upload, sort, look at, EDIT......EDIT....then you have to EDIT each photo......then you have to EDIT...ONE.....THOUSAND...photos.

Tell them they can pay you with some of the cash they get as wedding gifts and you can go buy some camera equipment. :clap:

I'm not having a paid photographer at my wedding on D Day 6th June because there is not one in our area that I would trust 2 of my friends volunteered straight away they don't shoot weddings but I love their photography, one of them has the biggest Leica collection you are likely to see and shoot just like Martin Parr which is perfect for me

I'm not having a paid photographer at my wedding on D Day 6th June because there is not one in our area that I would trust 2 of my friends volunteered straight away they don't shoot weddings but I love their photography, one of them has the biggest Leica collection you are likely to see and shoot just like Martin Parr which is perfect for me
Must be the Leica. Obviously he would be talentless without it. ;-)

This is my advice...take it or leave it...

Please don't do this shoot for FREE. Look how much work you are doing ALREADY and think about how much work you WILL be doing between now and until they have the final photos.

I would AT LEAST have them pay you $500....and here is why...

You said its you or craigslist...well how much do you think someone off Craigslist would charge them for a wedding?

Anyone worth ANYTHING would charge more than $500.

You will most likely be preparing for this photo shoot between now and the wedding, spending a lot of time and even your own money ( gas / expenses ), plus you are most likely going to have 1,000 or so photos to go upload, sort, look at, EDIT......EDIT....then you have to EDIT each photo......then you have to EDIT...ONE.....THOUSAND...photos.

Tell them they can pay you with some of the cash they get as wedding gifts and you can go buy some camera equipment. :clap:
I understand it is a huge commitment. However- I am not comfortable charging for work I have never done before! I enjoy the work and I need a hobby. ;-) I've been feeling in a slump lately so this sounds like a fun push!

I'll consider the flash business, but I won't be charging.

Most reactions

Back