Umbrella vs. Softbox for an SB-600

eric-holmes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am wanting to get something to help soften the light from my SB-600. I am in a toss up between an umbrella or a softbox. I will not use these in a studio as I shoot on location shots. I have been told that an umbrella is better in that situation because it is more portable. But how unportable is a softbox really? I would have my assistant (wife :sexywink:) holding it for me, so I wouldn't be worried about the wind blowing it over. I prefer the light a softbox produces. Advice please :)

If you prefer the light that a soft-box produces, I'd go for that. I find umbrellas the best for portability, but I don't usually have the benefit of an assistant. The only downside to soft-boxes is that unless you've got room to transport them assembled, they take rather longer to set up than an umbrella.

I was also under the impression that softboxes were better for less powered light sources because it focuses the light more directionally as opposed to a shoot through umbrella which would bounce light back and every which way.

so get a bounce off umbrella? Where the light is pointed away from your subject, towards the concave side of the umbrella. simple as that.

In many situations you need the umbrella just out of the image frame to get the light soft enough and can't do that by bouncing into it.

The light scatter is more of an issue where there are walls to reflect the stray light, not a biggy for outdoors.

Plus softboxes are many times the cost of umbrellas for the equivelent size.

impact 60 inch umbrella

1/2 that size in a soft box so you would need 2 and a second stand:

Impact | Softbox - 24x32" | SB-6080 | B&H Photo Video

Plus, to help control scatter when bouncing into an umbrella you can tape paper over part of the umbrella to make an almost rectangular opening.

OR: .... Look at this piece:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/75852-REG/Photek_SL_6000_Umbrella_Softlighter_II.html

Very popular with outdoor portratists.

Last edited:
I believe shoot throughs are easier to control the light than using a reflective umbrealla.

I guess I don't see how a square flash head will fit a round hole in the back of a softbox. I see these adapters... Chimera | Speed Ring for Canon and Nikon Shoe-Mount | 2790 | B&H but I don't see what will seal off the extra open space to prevent light from escaping.

KmH, Two of those links were the same item. Did you mean that?

My Westcott Apollo softbox works and fold like an umbrella.

Would the speed ring I linked in post 7 be all I needed to attach it properly?

Most reactions

Back