Upgrade to Windows 10?

Typical of the software world, release defective products, then make you pay to fix their blunders.

That's because we want the new stuff now. Everything is a beta - it's been that way for years.

I'm running Win 8 - I had no choice when I bought the laptop. Problems have really been minimal. I have the reservation for 10 and will install it -- after a full backup. If things go to he!!, I have two RPis to play with.

It sounds like windows is trying to go the Adobe way to software release - instead of a big cost up front for software; instead do it by "subscription" style; pay along the way for access; only in their case they are going to let you keep using it, but charge for maintenance. That makes it subscription for the majority - only those living fully offline and not using cutting edge software can really avoid the need for updates.

Personally I'm going to wait at least 6 months or so - windows 8.1 has been a very smooth experience for me barring the whole metro" side to it and some rather stupid choices (eg wanting to tie all the calandar and skype features built-in to a single account). So I've no real "need" to upgrade; heck I stuck with Vista for a long while - I tend to update OS when I get a new rig rather than worry about what a new OS will mess with on my existing one.

It sounds like windows is trying to go the Adobe way to software release - instead of a big cost up front for software; instead do it by "subscription" style; pay along the way for access;
They already do with their office line of product. You can still purchase a perpetual license, but much like Lightroom it is limited in scope(only one seat per license, so if you have a workstation and a laptop you need to purchase 2 license)and hard to find; worst, no reduced price for owners of older version, so no upgrade path. Why I stuck with Office 2007 and will not "upgrade", not ever.

Typical of the software world, release defective products, then make you pay to fix their blunders.

That's because we want the new stuff now. Everything is a beta - it's been that way for years.
That is one theory. Mine is that there is a culture of mediocrity that developed in the software world over the years, a culture of "good enough" and "we'll fix it later, let's collect the money now". I have no solution, I just know I don't like to be on the receiving end of it.

Windows 10: A 128-bit rewrite of a 64-bit patch of a 32-bit offering that was based on a 16-bit fix of an 8-bit repair of a 4-bit OS by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

Win-Doze Ten...the name sends shudders down the spines of millions who await with dread and unease the amazing depths of its piece of crap-ness nature...

LOL!!

Haters-gonna-hate.gif

Windows 10? Really? what happened to 6, 7, 8 and 9? lol ... I am that behind ... lol

Well 9 vanished because 8 was so bad Microsoft wanted to leap as far from it as possible

(actually 8 was perfectly fine as an OS - fast, stable, good compatibility after patching - its sole problem was interface based)

Win9 wasn't used as it was a common abbreviation for Win95.

Most reactions

Back