Urgent call - urgent call - do you read me? Germany Meet-Up Group?

Well you better not get in my way! I drive fast and stop for nothing.

But we should both be coming from different directions on different motorways anyway .. unless you take the wrong turn again. As I heard, you do that on meet-ups occasionally!!

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. Pedestrians had better be quick on their feet.

Reminds me. Better get some sedative for my passengers. I find that people screaming in terror tends to distract me.

sounds it is better to be inside your car than outside.

that should keep passengers quiet, since they are afraid to be told to leave the car and become part of the pedestrian crowd.

Quoting myself on the (rough) itinerary I already posted in the second of my three planning threads:

And I was thinking of this (still very rough) itinerary for the week:

Sat, 24 May: Day of Arrival, only arrival for most and settling in, dinner in the "Bistro" here in Lauenbrück (about 5 min on foot from "Ole Hoop", where the first 18 of you will stay)

Sun, 25 May: Maybe, if I can get that cleared with our choirmaster, my choir will sing in the Sunday Service and you could thus hear me sing, if that is so, some might like to come and listen (?), other than that I am thinking of spending the day in the swimming pool for everyone to acclimatise and overcome their jet lag, and we can get lunch and dinner (maybe?) from the "Aloha", i.e. the restaurant within the premises of the pool (http://www.ronolulu.de/ ).

Monday, 26 May Hamburg
(transport there and back by train!)
Guided tour round the port on a boat just for us with catering on board (still to be decided what that should comprise) (1 - 2 hours), walking to the sites (Town Hall etc) and after that there are sooooooooooo many DIFFERENT things for you to do, I still cannot tell what we WILL do (or you will do) --- one thing of interest is the Miniature Wonderland (http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/ ), but Digital Diva is super interested in following The Beatles on their paths through Hamburg, there are options to get guided round there (http://www.stattreisen-hamburg.de/de...les/index.html - only in German, I'm afraid...) , too, and and and. The day might be packed, there is just soooooooooooo much there to see (and take photos of!!! ) in Hamburg.

Tuesday, 27 May Lüneburg and the Heath
Transportation is still an unsolved problem, we would need to travel there by car. Depending on how many we will be and how many cars there will be around, I would need to ask if some of my friends would lend us their car and time (?).
But the town is worth a visit! (http://www.lueneburg.de/index.htm?baum_id=3221&langu=en )
For the afternoon, I would like to take you on a horse-drawn carriage ride through the Heath (but once more transportation to where the tours start - and they don't start out of Lüneburg, not one of them does), and I would want to book a tour that includes some sort of catering. Still working on that.

Wednesday, 28 May Bremen
Transport there and back by train
Mostly walking through the old centre of town
Guided tour through Old Town Hall
Lunch in the vaults underneath the Old Town Hall
Ample chance for shopping (you can see that I have not made any definite plans on the Bremen-day)

Thursday, 29 May
Canoe trip down the River Wümme starting right in Lauenbrück to Scheeßel (about 4 hours), lunch in Scheeßel (shopping for the salads for the barbecue!)
Preparation of salads and the barbecue

Big barbecue in Corinna's garden !
If for some reason you cannot be here for any of the previous excursions, make sure you are here for the barbecue!

Friday, 30 May
free ... no plans made for that day as yet

Saturday, 31 May
Departure day

Sounds ok?

Have David-DPW2007 and Iron_Flatline made up their minds seriously now? Can I count you in when I prebook tables or boat tours or Canadian Canoes?

How about your flights, Daan. Any news? Airport? Time of arrival?

Anyone else suddenly interested in the meet-up? Make up your minds! They are always great fun!

Are you willing to spend € 26.- on a 2-hour guided boat trip with catering through Hamburg Port?
(They have adjusted their price list at last, and prices have risen considerably for 2008 :shock: ... that tour was € 19.- last year!!!)

I mean to go into Hamburg and to the office of Barkassen_Meyer today and ask them a first couple of questions... (for example the groups would need to be 35 persons AT LEAST, and we are barely 20 just now...)

The cost of the boat trip around the harbour doesn't concern me too much Corinna, it's seems unlikely that Anne-Marie will set foot in a canoe though.

Oh and I think we'll have a hire car for the week, so we'll have a couple of seats spare at a guess

Spare seats are very welcome, since the transportation problem we're facing on the Tuesday still hasn't been solved. We only really get into Lüneburg AND to the point where we MIGHT do that horse-drawn carriage ride through Lüneburg Heath by car...!

And if you won't set foot into any canoe, you are welcome to join the catering force who will greet us with sandwiches or whatever upon our arrival! (That "force" so far consists of YOU and ... Anne-Marie :er: --- it was JUST founded! ;))

Those plans sound fantastic! It looks like there's so much to see in the area. A canoe trip sounds like lots of fun, as does the idea of wandering around Hamburg and Bremen. And a private boat tour, with catering? Really cool. I do think it would be nice to spend a good amount of time just wandering around the cities too, snapping photos and checking out local shops and restaurants and such -- rather than filling the whole day with planned visits. But either way, this sounds like a lot of fun!

I wouldn't worry about making too many plans for organised fun. If past meet-ups are any indication everyone will be quite happy sitting around in a bar photographing each other.
And if we go anywhere by car we are sure to take the wrong turning.
I can still remember trying to find your B&B in the dark at Saffron Walden :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back