Vivitar 285hv

JeffieLove

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

wow.

So I got it today... ordered it yesterday...

I'm reading through the manual to figure out how to use it...

I'm half way through the english side of the book and all I know how to do so far is turn it on, put it in the hotshoe, and hit the little red button to make it fire...

What is the calculator dial thing? Is it even worth using? That's where I am right now that I'm confused lol... Something about colored wedges, f stops, ASA(ISO) and ... wow! Does anyone actually use that?

That's the questions I have so far, I'm sure I'll have more as I continue to read, but thought I'd at least get these couple out :) lol

Yes, the calculator dial is important, in that it ties in with how the 285 is actually used in the various AUTO modes, which depend upon the colored settings on the Vari-Power module. You'll probably use the 285 most on Full power level, and in a color-mode AUTO setting when using it on-camera or for bounce flash uses. So, for that type of use, the colored wedges will tell you the usable distance ranges,and the right lens f/stop to set. The manual should help you familiarize yourself with the operation of the flash. It's actually very simple,and the calculator dial itself is an amazing design. It's quite accurate as a mechanical flash guide, and it is quite accurate.

ok - well I don't seem to understand what the manual is saying about the calculator thing - so is there any way you could try to explain it in a little more lamen's terms than the manual? lol

nvm - I think I got it..

I was just a little overwhelmed ;)

I don't think I realize what I got myself into with this flash thing lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back