Warranty or Not?

NiKOnSLR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, I know this might sound a little bit dumb but I have a question for all of you.

When you first bought the camera did you buy the store warranty or not? Im thinking about getting it but not sure if is really needed.

Thanks

Depends on the "store warranty" you're talking about. Is this an extended warranty on top of the camera warranty? Or is this some return to store thing that is a waste of time since the manufacturer covers it anyway?

How long is the warranty, what are the terms, what is the manufacturer's warranty terms?

There's not a lot of info to go by but I would suggest this. Look into insurance that covers accidental damage. Manufacturing defects are covered my manufacturers anyway, but dropping your camera, it catching fire, or it being stolen isn't, and it is probably the same cost for insurance as "extended warranty"

Warranties IN GENERAL are nothing more than scams really. As another posted stated, Manufacturers warranties cover workmanship etc.

Just dont be a clutz and drop your camera, aside from that, the Manufacturers warranty should be fine.

I will agree that extended warranties are a waste with just a couple exceptions. One of those is the protection warranty plan that Ritz offers. It is much much more expensive than other companies but will cover any damage that isn't just cosmetic as long as you can bring the camera parts back in with you. I bought it and it has already paid for itself when my friend picked up my back that wasn't zipped shut and the camera fell out and landed lens first. The also offer free sensor cleaning with their plan as well.

I will agree that extended warranties are a waste with just a couple exceptions. One of those is the protection warranty plan that Ritz offers. It is much much more expensive than other companies but will cover any damage that isn't just cosmetic as long as you can bring the camera parts back in with you. I bought it and it has already paid for itself when my friend picked up my back that wasn't zipped shut and the camera fell out and landed lens first. The also offer free sensor cleaning with their plan as well.

On the other hand, a "scheduled coverage" rider on my homeowner's policy doesn't even require that I bring in the parts. I am actually covered if I lose a camera! (That's called "mysterious disappearance.")

I don't get free sensor cleaning, though.

Depends on the "store warranty" you're talking about. Is this an extended warranty on top of the camera warranty? Or is this some return to store thing that is a waste of time since the manufacturer covers it anyway?

How long is the warranty, what are the terms, what is the manufacturer's warranty terms?

There's not a lot of info to go by but I would suggest this. Look into insurance that covers accidental damage. Manufacturing defects are covered my manufacturers anyway, but dropping your camera, it catching fire, or it being stolen isn't, and it is probably the same cost for insurance as "extended warranty"

The warranty Im talking about is the one that BestBuy offers. Its an extended warranty Im assuming.

Is the manufacturer warranty included when you buy the cam at the store?

On the other hand, a "scheduled coverage" rider on my homeowner's policy doesn't even require that I bring in the parts. I am actually covered if I lose a camera! (That's called "mysterious disappearance.")

You will typically have a deductable (usually $500) and you also risk your homeowners insurance premium increasing or them non-renewing your policy if you put in a claim. If I was a full pro with $5-10k+ of equipment then I would have that properly insured but it isn't worth it just for basic stuff.

Just how good are those warranties that people bought from CompUSA, Circuit City, even Wolf/Ritz if they go down the tubes. Take your (whatever you bought from them) back to any of them for warranty service.

A non-Nikon warranty is only as secure as the stability of the company who offers it.

I have never seen an authorised seller sell a Nikon or Canon camera without a warranty slip in it. If you don't get one, demand a full refund on your purchase and go elsewhere, doesn't matter if you buy it from a camera store or from your local everything electrical seller.

I did a lot of researchand the insurance offered for sale did not fare well.
My research left me with little confidence so I played the odds

?? For $250 / year I have covered 2 bodies, 3 pro lenses, 2 standard lenses, a flash unit, and a $1000 bicycle against fire, theft, disasters, and accidental damage as a rider on the home insurance policy.

You will typically have a deductable (usually $500) and you also risk your homeowners insurance premium increasing or them non-renewing your policy if you put in a claim. If I was a full pro with $5-10k+ of equipment then I would have that properly insured but it isn't worth it just for basic stuff.

"You will typically have a deductable (usually $500)..." Zero deductible. That's the nature of "scheduled coverage." All risk coverage including "mysterious disappearance." The only exclusion is "wear and tear."

"...you also risk your homeowners insurance premium increasing or them non-renewing your policy if you put in a claim." I face the same risk if my house catches fire. Should I therefore cancel my policy?

"...but it isn't worth it just for basic stuff." I believe that it's worth it for $3000 of "basic stuff."

The warranty Im talking about is the one that BestBuy offers. Its an extended warranty Im assuming.

When looking at an extended warranty, be careful about semantics. A warranty will frequently be stated as being a 5-year warranty but that includes the 2-year manufacturer's warranty. In this example, you're paying for three years but psychologically you're thinking five years. That wording is what conned my wife into getting an extended warranty for her car. The salesman claimed six years (engine & drive train) while ignoring the 5-year factory warranty.

Warranty is a form of insurance. Insurance companies are out to make money for themselves. It is a business. They are not trying to help you. They are trying to take money from you. Keep this in mind now. Most new cameras will come with a one year warranty. If it does not break in a year chances are it will be fine. I have NEVER bought any extended warranty on any of my camera gear and I have NEVER had any issues with them. The people at Best Buy and most stores are trained to sell you extended warranties to boost their profit. They can be very pushy at times.

I have never seen an authorised seller sell a Nikon or Canon camera without a warranty slip in it. If you don't get one, demand a full refund on your purchase and go elsewhere, doesn't matter if you buy it from a camera store or from your local everything electrical seller.

I did a lot of researchand the insurance offered for sale did not fare well.
My research left me with little confidence so I played the odds

?? For $250 / year I have covered 2 bodies, 3 pro lenses, 2 standard lenses, a flash unit, and a $1000 bicycle against fire, theft, disasters, and accidental damage as a rider on the home insurance policy.

Yea I did get that slip inside the box. The slip you keep until is needed right?

Warranty is a form of insurance. Insurance companies are out to make money for themselves. It is a business. They are not trying to help you. They are trying to take money from you. Keep this in mind now. Most new cameras will come with a one year warranty. If it does not break in a year chances are it will be fine. I have NEVER bought any extended warranty on any of my camera gear and I have NEVER had any issues with them. The people at Best Buy and most stores are trained to sell you extended warranties to boost their profit. They can be very pushy at times.

Yea i think Im just going to use the factory warranty.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back