Weather forecast (or not)

Are weather forecasters accurate?

• Accurate on snow amounts but not locations.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
BRI_1416_312.JPG

yeah, i am mostly going on the opposite of mount snowy. Because going through these you really wont seen anything but bright white if i exposed correctly.

BRI_1418_314.JPG
wind gust the visibility goes to about zero. Lulls aren't too bad. This is a front end loader, but you wouldnt know it.

So, Brian.... Are you transmitting while driving? or this was from earlier in the day?

View attachment 94204 the visibility is awesome. And this is the dead center of the city. Going down the rural roads i was running into four foot snow drifts (or higher) and kind of "guessing" if i was on the road or not.
Whats that blue line at the top

So, Brian.... Are you transmitting while driving? or this was from earlier in the day?
couple hours ago. went plowing. Going back out in a bit prolly.
BRI_1423_319.JPG

bribrius - I like these, you can have a nice storm series by the time you're done.

well, and i went into the city to get a coffee (dunkin donuts was open)
BRI_1431_327.JPG
. Real quiet out there.

Winter driving skills:
  • Get real snow tires installed. They work. They're a PITA each fall and spring, but when you are in the snowstorm...
  • Do not spin wheels. Otherwise you just make ice. If you're in the snow-bank, you just get lower. And lower. Some people forget the concept that when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging!
  • Do not brake. Well, very lightly. Because once the wheels lose traction, your momentum will keep whatever direction you had before you applied the brakes. ABS helps but does not replace intelligence. Winter teaches more people about momentum than all the physics classes combined.
  • When turning with front-wheel drive, turn with power. If you do it any other way, you'll understand why.
  • Do not assume that drift is "only" a foot high. It might be. It might also be 1" of snow on top of 11" of ice. Or it might actually be 2 feet deep. Your muffler will let you know if you've guessed wrong.
  • 4-wheel drive does not replace intelligence. 'Nuff said.
  • Given that you're not going to brake and you have minimal ability to turn, drive at half the normal speed. It's also a good speed to observe other people losing control and spinning out.
  • If visibility is less than 100 meters (300 feet), use your headlights and flashers. They'll see your lights before they see you. Will it be enough? Depends on whether they suffering from weather-induced idiocy or not.
  • Winter wiper blades work a lot better than the other kind, unless you think that wiping your windshield with blocks of ice is exciting.
I'm sure those of you who drive in winter conditions know all this stuff. For the rest of you, it's a learned skill that gets relearned every winter with the first snowfall.

I'd add that no sudden movements and anticipation are the biggest keys to winter driving. Sudden wheel turning and braking are the quickest way to lose traction. The best way to avoid this is to anticipate things much further in advanced than during normal conditions.

More tips:

- always carry warm clothing and good boots in your car.
- make sure there is gas and wiper fluid
- carry a high visibility vest
- throw a collapsable shovel in the trunk.
- jumper cables and a real tow strap
- yellow tinted glasses help on low vis and flat light conditions
- always leave plenty of room when following another car
- never pass a plow truck
- take your time
- always clean off and warm up your car.

@MSnowy I love the high key snowstorm shot. Perfectly captures what it was like here this morning.

Thanks. Watch for us (Scituate) on the news tonight, high tide is around 5

Winter driving is one of the reasons why I drive a car with a manual transmission. Easier to control speed and be able to follow all the other rules for keeping things as safe as possible. If I'm driving on a snowy highway, I am in the right lane with my flashers on driving slow. It always astounds me how fast other people drive in bad conditions and leave so little space between cars. It's clear how many people rely on their vehicles now to get them out of trouble.

Oh, and I might add another tip - keep some kitty litter or sand in the trunk.

ugh! Winter driving is one of the reasons I moved away from Michigan!

Stay safe, everyone!

Most reactions

Back