Web use pricing

AdventuresInMyTrustyBoots

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have someone that wants to use one of my images on their website as a heading picture. They are wondering what I would charge for it. Normally I would just say, go ahead, but give me photo credits. But they are insisting on paying me for it's use.

How does one figure out a price for something like that? And are there conditions that I should make for letting them use it?

First and foremost, "credit" isn't worth the paper it's not printed on. Second, your work has value. It took time, effort and cost YOU money to create. Is it fair or reasonable for someone else to make money on your back? I would say not. As to pricing... that's no longer a simple "use x number of copies x duration" formula. With the huge glut of stock photography available for next to nothing commissioned work has lost a LOT of value in most areas. That said, I always start off these questions by asking what their budget is, or some other subtle way of asking how much they are hoping to pay. It's important to consider the size of the company, the amount of traffic the 'site gets, how prominently your image will be featured, and for how long they want it.

For instance: If McDonald's wanted it for a banner image on their 'site, I would be asking in the $5-10K/year range. If this is a local business in a small town, maybe $100/year. It's also worth considering trade. If the prospective user provides a service that you could benefit from, establish a dollar value for the image (usually a 2-4x multiple of cash) and take it in trade. For instance: I do various jobs for my accountant throughout the year and she takes care of that box of papers in the corner and makes them something Revenue Canada will tolerate at tax time...

Yep. As a banner image for a local web site $100 per year sounds about right.

Conditions = a Use License.
:: PLUS :: License Generator
In effect they are renting/leasing the use of your photo copyright. You can prohibit them from using the image in any other way, unless they pay for the additional usage.

Make the license for 1 year, with the option to renew the license for another year for another $100. Or of you choose you could offer year 2 for only $90, year 3 for only $80, etc.

Yes, there are 'conditions' for usage. You need to license usage for a specific time frame, how/where the image will be used, etc. Probably best to be specific.

Usually the first year or first print run would be a certain amount, then the next year somewhat less, then the third year less, etc. Or I think you could license usage for a year then if they want to extend it you can contract for further usage

Try American Society of Media Photographers - Homepage or PPA for info. on licenses, link to a pricing guide, etc. Seems like pricing varies depending on where you live and if this is for commercial use or not.

For creative work you are getting paid for your talent and skills as a photographer, the time you spent learning and practicing, etc. All of that adds up to you being able to create good quality photos on a consistent basis. I think that's the challenge in determining pricing because it's for more than just the time spent taking photos and processing.

edit - And working for 'credit'? no. Who does that in any other type work? Once you've given someone a photo that gives them control over where your work ends up, not you. Photographers often get a photo credit in a publication, and get paid just like writers may get a byline along with payment. No more working for free! not unless it's for a charitable purpose you choose to support.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back