What Computer do you have?

After reading some of those old specs I've come to realize that my phone has more power, seriously. :lol:

The average calculator these days has more horsepower than NASA used for the Apollo missions.
I shot this at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum a few years ago:

Apollo_Computer_8150.jpg

Meh, its a necro thread but I'll play

Mine is home built. I haven't bought a factory made tower in more years than I can count:
AMD Phenom X6 1100t (6 core 3.3ghz)
8gb RAM
2.5Tb of drive space total (not counting external and network)
PNY Geforce Gt430 (its not fancy but it does what I need it to)
Corsair H60 liquid cooler

Since a little bit of computer history has come up... anyone know why it is called "debugging" code?

I heard many years ago that the reason was because since computers were made of vacuum tubes and relays, bugs would get attracted to the glowing vacuum tubes and get stuck in the relays which prevented them from making contact. Someone had to come through and "debug" these relays by removing the bugs :lol:

Since a little bit of computer history has come up... anyone know why it is called "debugging" code?

I heard many years ago that the reason was because since computers were made of vacuum tubes and relays, bugs would get attracted to the glowing vacuum tubes and get stuck in the relays which prevented them from making contact. Someone had to come through and "debug" these relays by removing the bugs :lol:

It is often attributed to Grace Hopper and the specific bug was a moth

I hate myself for not having to google that

Macs all the way. I have a Powermac G5 with 16 GB of ram and dual 2.0 processors that has the NVidia Quadro 512MB PCIe Video card which I am still using for photo processing and most other stuff even though it is a 2005 model. I am going to get my money out that computer though as I cant afford to replace it now. I also own a Mac Book Pro with 4GB of Ram and a 2.4 Ghz Core 2 duo. Its a early 2008 model that had the Mother board replacement after the NVidia recall. Not a bit of trouble since that time. Oh and a first gen iPad. That covers it. I use the iPad for previewing photos a lot of times out in the field if I am out and about shooting images. It works like a charm.

I can see building a hackintosh, but I can not for the life of me understand why people actually pay 2 to 3 times as much for equivalent hardware

Because its not just equivalent hardware. You know this right? but then thats why they are called hackintoshes ...

After reading some of those old specs I've come to realize that my phone has more power, seriously. :lol:

The average calculator these days has more horsepower than NASA used for the Apollo missions.

Apollo_Computer_8150.jpg

Buckster we also did the moon missions with what would be the equivalent of 72k of RAM in modern terminology , thats pretty astonishing when you think about it.

It is often attributed to Grace Hopper and the specific bug was a moth

I hate myself for not having to google that
Yep. Grace Hopper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had the pleasure of meeting and talking with Grace Hooper when she was the keynote speaker when I got my EE degree way back in the day.

Apollo_Computer_8150.jpg

Buckster we also did the moon missions with what would be the equivalent of 72k of RAM in modern terminology , thats pretty astonishing when you think about it.
I read today that the first satellite/rover to Mars sent back a total of ~600KB. While today they can send back over 200 mb per day. Lol

Apollo_Computer_8150.jpg

I read today that the first satellite/rover to Mars sent back a total of ~600KB. While today they can send back over 200 mb per day. Lol

Quite a feat when you think about the bandwidth limitations involved with transmitting that much data across deep space and the latency involved in telecommunications at those distances. I am sure packet loss is something they are constantly dealing with. It really puts the OSI model on a whole different playing surface.

Most reactions

Back