What film to use?

borisnikon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a used nikon f80 or f90. I will manly use it for landscapes and I just want to test film out to see if it suits me. I don't know what type of film you would have to use and how much it costs. Any help on which types of film, I know it will probably iso 50 or 100
Thanks for the help!

check out Ilford hp4, ISO 125

Color, or B&W? I like Fuji Acros for 100 ISO B&W, and Efke for 50 (also B&W).

I just want to test film out to see if it suits me
That's what I would suggest. There isn't really a "wrong" film. Just try stuff and see what you like. Read the data sheets for them, and search for pictures taken with them on flickr.

I'd recommend a medium or large format camera for landscape photography. 35mm is too small and looks really coarse beside pictures coming from big film. Any medium to slow film in a big camera on a tripod will deliver pictures with "magic realism".

maris said:
I'd recommend a medium or large format camera for landscape photography. 35mm is too small and looks really coarse beside pictures coming from big film. Any medium to slow film in a big camera on a tripod will deliver pictures with "magic realism".

What film slr would you suggest

If you want to focus on B+W your major expense is going to be processing. The sooner you start developing at home the better off you will be. It's cheap and easy. As far as film choices, have some national pride and go with Ilford. A better answer would be to pick one film and shoot it for a year. The consistency is more important than the film choice.

maris said:

What film slr would you suggest

My reply was only a little bit tongue in cheek because this is the "Medium Format & Large Format" section of "Film Photography". I'm a full-time landscape photographer using, in the main, a 8x10 field view camera but rollfilm is a viable alternative particularly in difficult environments. I chose the Mamiya RB 67 system as the best combination of picture quality, versatility, durability, and low price.

Ann's suggestion of Ilford HP4 125. Jessops should have some.

Get a Nikon F70 (N70 stateside) with the best lens you can afford and some Kodak Ektar 100 and some Ilford HP4 125.

The F70 is plenty for what youre gonna do. Invest in glass.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back