When to buy a Canon 30D?

Mihai said:
That's a good point about the D30 being the newest. They're more likely to drop the price on the D20 rather than the D30.

For dealers I was thinking Amazon or Adorama (I think that Adorama is actually selling through Amazon). I also heard scary stories from other places so I'll stay away.

How do I know if and when Canon are offering their rebates?

Mihai

Hello Mihai... I think you are from Romania...
so... here they gave a rebate a very long time ago... (and was the only time...)

You can buy from Internet when is the next rebate... so if you find any tip about the next time when Canon give money back tell me and maybe we will find more people to buy more once...

Just shop around and get a good price on the thing you want. Even if the price drops at some point in the future, it won't be anything precipitous. And if you stop checking prices once you bought it, you'll never know that there was a change ;-)

The deal on dell.com is pretty sweet even without the discovery card. I'm not sure how serious the buydig guys are if I need to return something (although I bought two P&S cameras from them). With dell I have no problems.

OVR, it's true that I'm from Romania, but I now live in North Carolina, so I play by the US prices and deals.

The only problem is that the deal ends in 1 day. We're trying to finalize a deal on a minivan and we're not absolutely sure of the final price (although we have an idea). I hope I can get it from dell today or tomorrow.

Another strange thing is that amazon seems to have rised their price from 1250 to 1300 lately (although I have it in my shopping card with the 1250 price). This is weird.

Thanks a lot guys!

Mihai

Mihai said:
The only problem is that the deal ends in 1 day. We're trying to finalize a deal on a minivan and we're not absolutely sure of the final price (although we have an idea). I hope I can get it from dell today or tomorrow.

I believe it ends at 6 a.m. CST tomorrow morning.

Well, to make matters worse, now I have second thoughts: I think that what I really want is a 30D camera with a 5D sensor and weather proofing that sells for less than $1500 (it really annoys me that the 5D is more expensive, have only 3fps and doesn't have the fill-in flash).
Since this camera doesn't exist (yet), whatever I buy will be temporary until the dream camera shows up (probably 3-5 years).

Since it's temporary anyway, why not buy a Rebel XT for half the price of the 30D? I know the reasons for not buying it, it's just that the doubling of the price comes from elements external to the imaging system: grip, 5fps, perhaps better AF, larger viewfinder and larger screen. This annoys me to no end.

Perhaps I'll be able to make my mind by the end of the day today...
M.

Travelling to States to read at and photograph Niece's wedding and with current luggage restrictions may be a good excuse to replace my 350D with 30D body as exchange rate looks good to British pound. You lot all seem to buy off net - are there good discount stores around with decent staff?

Well, after I just made up my mind to buy the 30D went to Dell to buy it and found that they slap a $80 tax on it (making the $100 discount almost inexistent). This comes to the price of B&H. I passed on it. I think I'll wait for a while.

M.

seriously. just go with the 20D. you wont be sorry you saved the money on the 30D's barely useful features. (with the exception of the spot metering)

Ah yes, the ever present "Should I wait?" question. Well there's a saying we have in the photography industry, "If you don't like it, just wait a minute." So I'm going to tell you this as a Canon dealer: If you wait for the price to drop, besides the price dropping, you'll just see another camera coming around the corner. Things will never stop progressing, prices will allways be different, cameras will never settle down. You'll never make up your mind unless you just go for it. If your worried about money then your going to have a hard time being a photographer. If your not wanting to become a photographer then your going to have a hard time with the fact that your buying a $1200 camera to take family pictures with. As for the rebates to come back, they just finished one up and I'm pretty sure the next one will be out soon for Christmas. Probally November time.

The cost of a camera will go down everyday, but the quality in digital will go up everyday. So either jump in head first or allways be waiting.

Ghoste said:
The cost of a camera will go down everyday, but the quality in digital will go up everyday. So either jump in head first or allways be waiting.

Its the same concept for any electronic device in this age. Moore's Law is a *****.

"The cost of a camera will go down everyday, but the quality in digital will go up everyday. So either jump in head first or allways be waiting."

That's great advice. I think I'll jump. Or should I? :).

Besides the money aspect, the main problem I have (now) is that I think that Canon may come out with a better full sensor camera at Photokina (spelling?) and I'll shoot myself for getting the 30d. Stupid uncertainty...

Regarding bestpricecameras... that price is too good to be true.

M.

I agree. They're a shady brooklyn shop. Don't trust the Brooklyn camera shops!! They'll sell you the camera at a super low price, then call you and ask if you want to buy the battery. When you argue and say that the battery comes with the camera, they'll cancel your order. Its messed up -- do a search on it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back