Which 50mm is for me?

anubis404

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am in the market for a 50mm prime for my d40, and my max buget is $100. I may get one off ebay. What specs should I look for? Ai or non ai? What should I watch out for?

In your situation, I would look for a 50mm f/1.8 AF-D lens. It meters with the D40, but does not auto-focus. In fact, the only 50mm lens that does autofocus with the D40 is a $500 Sigma, so I guess that's out of the question. However, you will still get the little green focus conformation dot in the bottom-left of the viewfinder, which is a big help.

I have a 50mm AI (or possibly AI-S, I'm not sure) 1.8, and I love it, even though I have to manually focus AND manually set the exposure. It simply opens you up to a whole new world of photography.

Also, I'd recommend getting one used from a reputable website. I know there's a nice little used spot not too far from where I live, and I plan on using it soon (I'm not one to buy stuff :p). But whatever you do, best of luck. It's a big world out there!

In your situation, I would look for a 50mm f/1.8 AF-D lens. It meters with the D40, but does not auto-focus. In fact, the only 50mm lens that does autofocus with the D40 is a $500 Sigma, so I guess that's out of the question. However, you will still get the little green focus conformation dot in the bottom-left of the viewfinder, which is a big help.

I have a 50mm AI (or possibly AI-S, I'm not sure) 1.8, and I love it, even though I have to manually focus AND manually set the exposure. It simply opens you up to a whole new world of photography.

Also, I'd recommend getting one used from a reputable website. I know there's a nice little used spot not too far from where I live, and I plan on using it soon (I'm not one to buy stuff :p). But whatever you do, best of luck. It's a big world out there!

Thanks for the advice. So I should definitely get an AI lens? I'm also a good manual focuser, so I don't care about autofocus. Do you recommend any specific reputable website selling 50mms used?

I would like to spend less, I have seen some on ebay for $50-$70 used but in good condition. Is it safe to buy them used from ebay, or is used the way to go?

Will these lenses work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-Series-E-...oryZ3323QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIKON-50mm-1-8-...oryZ3323QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And also, I know this is a noob question, but what is metering?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
My only suggestion is if you you are dead set on going the ebay route, check out the retailer thoroughly.

Otherwise, stick with reputable online retailes such as B&H & Adorama.

The going price for a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 is ~$110-$125 NEW. Anything significantly less than that NEW, I would be leary of.

Considering its a used lens, its only $30 less than a new one. I assume it will work?

Not trying to rain on your parade by any stretch of the imagination, just suggesting caution with ebay. Also, do not assume. Have guarantees of satisfaction.

I agree with Kundalini. While Ebay is absolutely fantastic, you really should be careful with it.

As for your lens choice, you do realise that that's an AI-s lens (not the one I suggested)? Nikon has made several F-mount lenses over the years: AI (the earliest), AI-s, AF, AF-D, AF-I (this version has a built-in focusing motor which WILL AF with the D40), and now AF-S, the newest model.

Your one is an AI-s lens, which means that not only will you have to manually focus, you will have to manually choose the exposure for every single photograph; no automatic modes at all.

I would recommend something like this (sorry, I only do UK stuff), as this lens has all of the automatic modes your Nikon D40 is compatible with (except AF, of course), and is also the newest model.

Enjoy! Hope you make the right decision whatever.

I agree with Kundalini. While Ebay is absolutely fantastic, you really should be careful with it.

As for your lens choice, you do realise that that's an AI-s lens (not the one I suggested)? Nikon has made several F-mount lenses over the years: AI (the earliest), AI-s, AF, AF-D, AF-I (this version has a built-in focusing motor which WILL AF with the D40), and now AF-S, the newest model.

Your one is an AI-s lens, which means that not only will you have to manually focus, you will have to manually choose the exposure for every single photograph; no automatic modes at all.

I would recommend something like this (sorry, I only do UK stuff), as this lens has all of the automatic modes your Nikon D40 is compatible with (except AF, of course), and is also the newest model.

Enjoy! Hope you make the right decision whatever.

Well, I already have my 18-55 kit lens, which will meter and autofocus, so if I need that feature I can use that lens. I always shoot on manual mode. Very rarely I use any kind of auto mode, so metering isn't a priority. If I can save $40-50 but have no metering, I am ok. I'm not crazy about manual focusing, but I was planning on doing it anyway because the 50mms that have an autofocus motor are just too expensive.

The only thing I'm gonna use this lens for is portraits. Any kind of action, landscape, or pretty much anything else I shoot will be done with the kit lens.

And also, which of the above lenses will meter with the D40?

Last edited:
What do you mean by "which of the above lenses will meter with the D40"? If you mean lens types, then anything with AF as the prefix will meter correctly. Any AI-type lenses will not.

Another thing to think about is that you also won't get an exposure meter (the little line with dots on) to aid with your exposure. It will be either down to a seperate light meter or your own guessing.

What do you mean by "which of the above lenses will meter with the D40"? If you mean lens types, then anything with AF as the prefix will meter correctly. Any AI-type lenses will not.

Another thing to think about is that you also won't get an exposure meter (the little line with dots on) to aid with your exposure. It will be either down to a seperate light meter or your own guessing.

Oh. That can be somewhat problematic. I guess I'll have to go with an AF 50mm.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back