Which Camera Nikon D300s or Canon 7D

Market share doesn't necessarily indicate quality in all cases. Toyota was and probably still is the market leader in light vehicle sales in the US. However, millions of units have been recalled recently due to their faulty acceleration systems.

Probably 7D and D300s are good cameras (what this thread is all about). But we will know their actual qualities a little later after the hype cools down. ;)

I think the biggest point that may be completely missed is that it really doesnt matter which is better. Hear me out now:

If you are new to photography or are graduating from a point and shoot, you will likely turn to an entry level DSLR like a Rebel or D5000. From there, the progression will likely be up through the respective brands. Rather than doing the in-between-dance, the 7D is the first camera that Canon aims directly at Nikon. As a result, its more or less the same as the D300s with some minor differences. Higher resolution sensor, ever so slightly faster burst, and better movie mode, but has a louder shutter and lacks secondary card slot.

My point though, is if you own Nikon, you'll buy the D300s. If you own Canon, you'll buy the 7D. I highly doubt people will cross shop these cameras unless they're one of those few who want to dive right into a $1,700 camera as a starter. It's a monumental (and expensive) pain to jump ship from one to the other. I would imagine people would be far more inclined to cross shop the 7D with 50D and 5DmII and the D300s with D90 and D700.

The whole argument is silly, but its one that's necessary for advancement in products! If there wasn't such stiff competition, companies wouldn't be desparately trying to out-do each other. So it's all good for us-- the consumer. :thumbup:

As I said, I shoot Canon mainly due to its awesome "L" lenses that includes some excellent affordable versions as well. One of those is the great EF 400mm f/5.6L USM retailing at around $ 1,300/-. This is probably the best BIF lens on the market. Here are some pictures including BIF shots with this lens mounted on a 7D body:

7D - Mid to heavy crop performance - FM Forums

Being a hobbyist nature photographer; these images get excellent rating in my eyes.

Last edited:
As I said, I shoot Canon mainly due to its awesome "L" lenses that includes some excellent affordable versions as well. One of those is the great EF 400mm f/5.6L USM retailing at around $ 1,300/-. This is probably the best BIF lens on the market. Here are some pictures including BIF shot with this lens mounted on a 7D body:

7D - Mid to heavy crop performance - FM Forums

Being a hobbyist nature photographer; these images get excellent rating in my eyes.

Dont see the pic of the lens mounted to the body

Dont see the pic of the lens mounted to the body

For that purpose u need to view EXIF data of those shots. If u need a package for doing so; download google's "Exif Viewer", it's free.

In case u have time for mine; here's a shot followed by an image of the equipment (mine is a 450D body):

4484702986_76d0ded2bc.jpg

4293301714_29043d3f5b.jpg

Last edited:
It's established that Nikon bodies are made to cater to photographers needs while Canon bodies play to the gallery. No photographer on earth asked for more megapixels following introduction of 12 mp bodies. What they need are better ISO performance and cleaner images.

A gallery show with 7D is really weird as gallery people are not the buyers of Prosumer models. Those who haven't gotten into DSLR use, should think twice re what to choose. The options are:

i. Canon lenses are great and offers wider variety at reasonable prices compared to Nikon. However, their bodies lack photographers' requirements and pack gimmicky features.

ii. Nikon bodies are the best and cater exactly to photographers' needs. But their lenses offer narrower variety and pricier compared to Canon.

It is anticipated this ironies will continue for years to come.

Yeah, it's not like anyone wants more detail in their images or ever crops them down while wanting to maintain high res. Oh wait...

These are the kind of posts where everyone and their grandma seems to come out of the woodwork claiming they are a scientist. Or at least know everything as to help the OP make a decision solely on their post.

Oh the irony...

To the OP, I will tell you what I tell everyone making a decision like this. All the gigapixels, wahatmacalits, gizmos and gadgets in the world arent gonna help if don't feel comfortable holding your camera. Go to the store, hold them, go with gut feeling. Have a great day.

Last edited:
Leave granny out of this..

It's established that Nikon bodies are made to cater to photographers needs while Canon bodies play to the gallery. No photographer on earth asked for more megapixels following introduction of 12 mp bodies. What they need are better ISO performance and cleaner images.

A gallery show with 7D is really weird as gallery people are not the buyers of Prosumer models. Those who haven't gotten into DSLR use, should think twice re what to choose. The options are:

i. Canon lenses are great and offers wider variety at reasonable prices compared to Nikon. However, their bodies lack photographers' requirements and pack gimmicky features.

ii. Nikon bodies are the best and cater exactly to photographers' needs. But their lenses offer narrower variety and pricier compared to Canon.

i'm going to state this at the outset, i'm a nikon shooter.
BUT

the above poster is full of $hit and has no idea what he is talking about.
talk about spewing misinformation.
i'd ask you to back up your comments but i know you can't, so i am going to call you out on them.

i'm going to state this at the outset, i'm a nikon shooter.
BUT

the above poster is full of $hit and has no idea what he is talking about.
talk about spewing misinformation.
i'd ask you to back up your comments but i know you can't, so i am going to call you out on them.

Thank you for pointing that out as I thought he was right, you sir, deserve a medal. :lol:

I'm going to stick what i said on the fist page:

The 16-85 is a better lens, but the 7D is a better body.

I'd go with the Nikon though because of the 16-85, and i'd supplement it with the 35 1.8. I also <3 D2xModeIII.

But I also <3 the video and the shape of the 7D in the hand.

can't go wrong with both, that's for sure.

And you're obviously putting more dirt out there with your nonsense.

Most reactions

Back