Which one seems the BEST!?

0ptics

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm a new member of the forums and I'm hoping I could get some good insight on which camera to purchase :D! Just some background information, I absolutely know nothing about photography, the only camera I've used a simple point-and-shoot Casio Exilim x-Z35. But anyways I was thinking about entry level DSLR's, mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras, but came upon superzoom Bridge cameras, which seemed like a good category to start with and at a great price range. I liked the idea of HD video recording, decently good IQ, amazing zoom, etc. here are the ones that I'm looking at and need your guys' input on which one :)!

-Nikon Coolpix P500
-Canon Powershot sx40 hs
-Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150
-Sony Cybershot DSC-HX100V

I've done some research on these cameras and went to Bestbuy and tested all, but the Lumix (not in-stock), I love the feel, quality, etc. of all of them but since I have not experience in cameras, to me they all see the "same" XD! I guess some qualifications I'm looking for for my purchase are...

-Image quality (definitely the main aspect)
-HD video recording
-High speed recording (that mean slow-motion, correct??)
-Built in flash, EVF, Rechargeable battery(believe they all have it)
-Sub $450, $500 MAXIMUM, trying to budget myself since I'm a beginner
-Good Zoom (I believe Lumix as 24x while the other 3 have 30-36x)
-Quick shots, little time in between each picture
-High megapixel

But yes, I know that I should choose a camera based on which I am most comfortable with and how a "good" photographer is based on of his/her skills rather than the camera and that they have all they're pros and cons, but which would you say is the OVERALL BEST?

At first I thought the Nikon P500 was the one, but I started to read more consumer comments instead of reviews and noticed that out of the three it was the "worst". I then started to research mainly on the Canon sx40 and am starting to believe that this is the one, plus a lot of reviews/comments were saying how Canon's DIGIC 5 processor is the main selling point. But then again I soon started researching more on Sony HX100V and Lumix FZ150 and now I'm getting mixed reviews of all of them. So please an input would be much APPRECIATED and any advice on photography/camera buying as well :D!

Also just a QUICK additional questions
-Do all the cameras listed above have the "Panorama" ability? So websites state that they all do, some don't :/.

Thanks again for the all HELP!
-0ptics

You can get a decent used entry-level DSLR and kit lens for that price range, but I understand that you may want to start out with a bridge camera first. I can't speak for the other brands, but I have the Canon SX40's predecessor, the SX20, and I'm very happy with it. My next camera is going to be a DSLR, but I would buy the SX40 if I was going to get another P&S.

That I know of, most P&S cameras have a panorama mode...

Good luck!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back