Why so many snap shots...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then make sure you're reading and studying :) Make sure you get Kelby's The Digital Photography Book and Peterson's Understanding Exposure. I feel like if a lot of people on here took the time to open some photo literature, they would be so glad they did it!

Everyone has to start somewhere... so with that I think maybe we are being a little overly critical. Someones art may be a snapshot to you... or vice versa... BUT that makes it no less important to the person who took it for whatever reason...

Either way its for the people who have been doing this for sometime to teach the people who are new... as those taught us when we started...

Happy to teach, just wish there was a better mix of learning and teaching going on here :) Also sick of CCing and people never responding to the CC, but ah well. That's why I've been limiting myself lately.

Beginners are fine! :) Beginners who want to learn...

Like said before some people are still learning... For example, ME. There are many types of skill levels on here and that is what I like about it. The less experienced people can get tips and help from the more experienced people. Saying that someones shot is a snap shot, I feel is pretty rude. If you dont like the picture give the person some ways to improve it. Dont just call it a snap shot and say that you dont understand why someone would post it on here. I looked at some of your work that you posted to see how good you really were to be able to say what you did. I really like your recent work but your first 2 posts you ever made to me arent great. So as you can see you progressed because of people teaching and helping you.

I don't really think this was meant to be taken offensively. I think it's hard to express how you feel with typing. And I think EJBphoto does try to help with CC.. Has in my posts I know. I was here before the forums were split up so I kinda know what is meant by things changing the way they have.

It's not an issue about the quality of what is being posted. Obviously if you're a beginner, you're not going be taking perfect picture. Actually, I STILL consider myself a beginner. It has nothing to do with what the pictures look like.

My frustration is just the way some people are posting- not responding to CC, getting defensive about even the nicest CC... a lot of people aren't even looking for CC, I suppose, so I don't think a lot of people are here to improve and learn, and it used to be a bit more like that before the forums changed over.

If you've been here for awhile, then you've seen how the quality of the pictures have changed. Personally I feel, when people are posting pictures they took with their cell phones, you have to step back and say, wait, is this a photography forum or is this a share any picture you've ever taken forum? Not trying to be rude :) Would just like to see people taking photography on this site a bit more seriously sometimes. I know I still need to learn, and I'm having trouble learning anything lately.

Oh I would also like to say, part of the reason for this could be the fact that photography is rather trendy right now. SLRs are so much more affordable right now, all it takes it someone going to the store, dropping 1k, and snapping away without reading the manual, studying photography, etc and suddenly they're a photographer! :p You've got to start somewhere, but I've made the mistake before my myself- start with the BOOKS! Look at photography and learn exposure till your eyes bleed. I'm still learning and its exhausting, but so worth it.

I have been here a while, and the one thing that has changed is the size of the membership. When this forum started, it had far fewer members, and obviously those members were dedicated not only to the forum, but to photography as well. As the forum has grown more popular, we've picked up lots of new members, and their interest in photography ranges from pro, to serious amateur, to hobbyist, to snap shooter. The title of the forum is not "The Pro Photo Forum". The overall decline in quality of pictures as you put it, is simply a change in the ratio of beginners to experienced. There are plenty of great shots posted everyday.

Can you give me a heads up then about what part of this website seems to have a bit less of the snap shots and hobbyist work? What forum are you mostly find this?

Click on "New Posts" and look through them. If you are really starving for good photography, why don't you get some books from the library of great photographers?

Personally I feel, when people are posting pictures they took with their cell phones, you have to step back and say, wait, is this a photography forum or is this a share any picture you've ever taken forum?

Recently I have seen some really artsy pictures from a mobile phone camera on here ... so I would not blame it on the phones ;)

But I see what you mean...

god...i hope my photos arent being included in your idea of a snapshot

Click on "New Posts" and look through them. If you are really starving for good photography, why don't you get some books from the library of great photographers?

I use another photography forum so in response to your dry comment, no I'm not starving for good photography :) Just disappointed to see the changes in thephotoforum since the switch. That is all.

I use another photography forum so in response to your dry comment, no I'm not starving for good photography :) Just disappointed to see the changes in thephotoforum since the switch. That is all.

so you would definitely blame it on the rearrangement of categories?

maybe we could have "serious portraits" for people to learn (be it human portraits or animal portraits)

and "portrait snapshots" .. for just sharing images and discussing how cute the depicted scence are

.. i would certainly only qualify for the second category .. and n fact I so far posted most of my people and "cute" animal shots under "snapshots and bloopers" ...

My comment is hardly "dry". Just glancing in new posts, I've seen at least 6-7 posts with good "not snapshot" photos. Apparently your other photo forum has much higher quality, so why are you slumming here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back