Would you take this job?

Discussion in 'Commercial/Product photography' started by Parker219, Dec 6, 2016.

1. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    No. Way.

I've seen those type sites (when I was looking up doctors and oh, brother, what a bunch of crap sites are out there! lol) - this one sounds pretty lame. As in poor quality standards and I'd guess just want anybody with a camera to take mediocre pictures. I mean, they just want jpegs, what does that tell you about their editing? lol And why do you think the pay is lousy? does it sound like they want photographers? or just anybody with a camera will do, anybody they can rope into working for next to nothing. Some sites are just reviews but I think some now are trying to get doctors' offices to sign up to use their sites.

Probably anyone doing this would need read the 'fine print' with this place, make sure it's even possible to use the photos for a portfolio or if permission/property releases could be obtained as needed. If the site looks like crap. how would that make your work look? I don't see this going anywhere since nobody would know who took the pictures anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. ClickAddict

ClickAddict No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The "Just want jpegs" is quite normal for sites that handle massive photo uploads from multiple photographers. I did a gig for a national sports photography company. They were very specific. jpegs, a certain size, they even gave direction (a guide) for what kind of shots they were looking for as they wanted a fairly standard look across all the races/events they shot. They would get multiple thousands (Think full day events) photos per photographer (often multiple photographers per event). They could never edit them in a timely fashion without doing bulk editing. Processing that many raw files is just time consuming. Easier to work with smaller files. This doctor one does not seem as large of volume, but the same concept applies.

3. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

If you are establishing yourself and have the time ... then absolutely. As a former news photog I 'put in my time' shooting crappy assignments for small local papers, then worked my way shooting crappy assignments for large metro papers. The more you shoot the better you should become, shooting different stuff fills and expands your experience box.

Think of it as a paid internship part of a learning/growing process.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  4. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    What is the pay?
    Is it per assignment, per photo you take, per photo they use?
    Does the pay include perpetual usage?
    Do you still own the copyright?
    Do you have to provide the model releases?
    What does the contract say about your legal exposure if a doctor decides to sue them for some reason?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Fstop-

Fstop- TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sounds normal to me. I would do it.

Many people especially website designers have graphics people that will do the editing in house faster and cheaper. Website graphics are fairly low grade you do not need RAW or want to deal with transferring big files around.

As far as getting credit and making a portfolio, Someone is paying you to do a job. it is not about your portfolio, it is about the job they are paying you to do.

6. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit

This was almost a year ago and besides that, a key comment seems to be that the pay was low... probably just another company trying to get pictures cheap to offer what sounds like a fabulous service - and anyone who used it probably got what they paid for (cheap pictures, cheap quality).