1 variable ND & step ring

ShaneF

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So im at the point where i am realizing i need a ND filter so its time one again to reach into my wallet and hand over some cash to the addiction that is photography.

I would like a ND filter for my 77mm 70-200 2.8 and my 24-70 2.8 but dont really want to have to buy multiple filters. My plan right now is to buy a 82mm Hoya or Tiffen variable ND filter (since they seem to have good reviews and are in my price range) and a step ring so i can use a single filter on both lenses.

My concern would be having the 82mm filter on the end of my 77mm lens protruding, not sure why but i just have it in my head to be a bad idea.

Any suggestion or feedback would be appreciated.

No concern... you should be ok.

All my filters are 77mm or 60mm. All lenses less than 52mm filter size are stepped to 52mm via a step up ring. Then an additional ring is use to step from 52mm to either 60mm or 77mm. Any lenses greater than 52mm filter size are simply stepped up to either 60mm or 77mm.

You only risk vignette on really wide focal lengths and hoods no long fitting.

ok thanks for your reply, thats why i thought if i got the 82mm filter i could step it down to almost any lens i need after that, its just 82mm is such a big size, my hoods will be useless on all my other lense.

so do you think getting a 82mm and stepping it down for the other lenses or getting a 77mm and stepping it up for the 82mm?

I've got 4 filter sizes and 2 step up rings. That'll take care of my 77mm CPL needs. Yes, when stepping up the 67 or 72 sizes, the hoods won't fit, so I've held my hand over the lens to block direct sunlight hitting at an angle.

But then comes my 82mm 16-35 f2.8L. Luckily, I haven't run into a situation where I wanted the CPL on that lens. But I should invest in a step-down ring, just in case, and then crop out the vignetting in post. At least, that's my plan for now.

As far as NDs, my plan is to go with square NDs, and get mounting adapters for each lens ring size. I haven't made that move just yet, but that seems to be the best solution in my mind.

ok thanks for your reply, thats why i thought if i got the 82mm filter i could step it down to almost any lens i need after that, its just 82mm is such a big size, my hoods will be useless on all my other lense.

so do you think getting a 82mm and stepping it down for the other lenses or getting a 77mm and stepping it up for the 82mm?

Terminology

Step up means going from a smaller lens filter size to a larger filter.
Step down means going from a larger lens filter size to a smaller filter.

Step down always runs the risk of vignette depending on the lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back