What's new

1 Zoom vs 2 Primes

EchoingWhisper

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 12, 2011
Messages
1,553
Reaction score
54
Location
Malaysia
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro VS Nikon AF 24mm f/2.8 D & Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G

At similar price, which one would you choose?
 
Depends solely on your intent. I would always prefer Nikon glass over third-party, but if it was a scenario such as journalism, I would go with the zoom for ease of use, for anything where changing lenses wouldn't mean losing the shot? The primes.
 
Are you using a full frame camera body?
 
Are you using a full frame camera body?

I believe the "DG" nomenclature of the Sigma indicates that the lens only covers the APS-C sized image circle. Not sure though...I've lost track of all the abbreviations over the last few years' time. I think for a walkabout type of scenario, the focal length flexibility of the zoom would be the thing I would like the most about the zoom lens. I own a 24/2.8 AF-D...I don't use it that often any more, since I have its focal length and its aperture in several good zoom lenses. The 50mm prime really has the low-light advantage over the much slower f/2.8 zoom lenses, when a fast shutter speed is needed, and when the added light of the 1.8 aperture makes autofocusing more-accurate and more-sure under really demanding situations.

It seems lately EchoingWhisper that you're very concerned with the selection of your upcoming lenses; I recently read a web essay about the way many amateur photographers spend a HUUUUUUGE amount of time, and effort, and research, in selecting their equipment, and as a result, they become VERY defensive about their kit. As the author put it, you can criticize the photographs these people make, and they will reply, "Ehhh, just a test shot I did," or "Just a snapshot of my daughter, no big deal." HOWEVER, when one criticizes the equipment these people have assembled as part of their kit, they become extremely defensive, or even downright combative. Anyway, not to imply that you are like that, or have behaved like that, but I have seen and responded to a number of your posts comparing four different, specific lenses for Nikon use. The majority of lenses available these days are quite decent. MY suggestion is to look for an outlet wher you can buy used lenses, at a good savings. Possibly via mail or internet, in your own country, and thus save a lot of money, and allow yourself to buy and try lenses without paying full, new retail prices.
 
I have the canon version of the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro which I tend to use as my general 'walkabout' lens and I'm very happy with it.

Just to clarify, Sigma lenses where the image circle matches an APS-C sized sensor are given the "DC" designation. I couldn't remember what "DG" meant so I checked the sigma website and apparently it means:

"These are large-aperture lenses with wide angles and short minimum focusing distances. With an abundance of peripheral illumination, they are ideal lenses for Digital SLR Cameras."
 
Yeah, the sigma 24-70 WILL work on a full frame camera. It just doesn't seem like a good focal length range on dx (36-105ish). If you're looking for a general lens on a nikon DX body look at a used nikon 17-55 2.8, or a tamrom 17-50 2.8. Those have much more useful focal lengths on DX for most people.
 
I don't really have a camera I can use now other than my phone, which is pretty awful and the middle part is really reddish. So I spend my time learning about photography and researching about lenses before I buy. I don't want to regret buying it.
 
EchoingWhisper said:
I don't really have a camera I can use now other than my phone, which is pretty awful and the middle part is really reddish. So I spend my time learning about photography and researching about lenses before I buy. I don't want to regret buying it.

A lens without a camera body is rather pointless. Do you know what body you're going for?
 
It's not just a question of bodies, budget and "best lenses" but also one of shooting style. I know photographers who have sold/returned top rated lenses simply because they didn't fit into their style of photography - eg 500mm f4 a fantastic lens, but returned because it was too heavy; MPE65mm macro often returned because its very hard to use; 24-70mm f2.8 returned because it really lives up to its nickname - the Brick.

And its not just size and weight, its also how you shoot and the situations - sometimes people find they prefer a prime; othertimes a zoom.


So without a camera to really base your shooting style upon its hard to make these kind of choices because a lot of the time its going to come down to what you feel suits you best.

To add to the comment above about renting/loaning also look for a local camera club, a good camera club is another place where you can often see and try out other lenses and setups and get a better feel for them in your own hands.
 
What Body/Lenses do you already have? What do you shoot primarily? Where do you (if at all) publish your photos? All these things should influence your decision


Personally, I would choose the 2 primes if they are a similar price, considering they are Nikon glass, and you are getting 2 lenses over one. But, if you do not have a zoom lens, (for me) that would take precedence over getting primes.
 
Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro VS Nikon AF 24mm f/2.8 D & Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G

At similar price, which one would you choose?
Just out of curiosity... why do you start multiple threads about the same thing?
 
It's not just a question of bodies, budget and "best lenses" but also one of shooting style. I know photographers who have sold/returned top rated lenses simply because they didn't fit into their style of photography - eg 500mm f4 a fantastic lens, but returned because it was too heavy; MPE65mm macro often returned because its very hard to use; 24-70mm f2.8 returned because it really lives up to its nickname - the Brick.

And its not just size and weight, its also how you shoot and the situations - sometimes people find they prefer a prime; othertimes a zoom.


So without a camera to really base your shooting style upon its hard to make these kind of choices because a lot of the time its going to come down to what you feel suits you best.

To add to the comment above about renting/loaning also look for a local camera club, a good camera club is another place where you can often see and try out other lenses and setups and get a better feel for them in your own hands.

After listening to your advice, I think I'm going for 2 primes.


What Body/Lenses do you already have? What do you shoot primarily? Where do you (if at all) publish your photos? All these things should influence your decision


Personally, I would choose the 2 primes if they are a similar price, considering they are Nikon glass, and you are getting 2 lenses over one. But, if you do not have a zoom lens, (for me) that would take precedence over getting primes.

No zoom yet, but can you please tell my why should I choose a zoom over two primes? I think I could crop if the pictures were too large or stitch if they were too small, but I don't know. xP
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom