100-400 Hummingbird moth

I haven't seen any this year yet. beautiful shots of it.

I shall keep an eye out for them ta

Thinking about this lens. Good for birding?

Awesome shots.

After the 16 f/1.4, the 100-400 is next on my wish list. I’ll probably have it early next year. This has me super excited to get that lens, and for my move to fuji in general.

Awesome shots.

After the 16 f/1.4, the 100-400 is next on my wish list. I’ll probably have it early next year. This has me super excited to get that lens, and for my move to fuji in general.
The 100-400 is pretty hefty. It can be hand held but it is better on a mono pod if your shooting sports. It is a nice lens, prime quality when things are close. I just don't have the patience nor time for BIF. Like this weekend, I'm going to a tractor show in AM, soccer game in the PM. I will shoot 135 TriX at the tractor show, then the 100-400 at soccer. Additionally, I don't know where to go and shoot BIF. I did see a lot of hawks yesterday driving around making sales calls in mid Michigan. We've got some on the golf course but it's not practical to shoot while golfers are out there.

Awesome shots.

The 100-400 is pretty hefty. It can be hand held but it is better on a mono pod if your shooting sports. It is a nice lens, prime quality when things are close. I just don't have the patience nor time for BIF. Like this weekend, I'm going to a tractor show in AM, soccer game in the PM. I will shoot 135 TriX at the tractor show, then the 100-400 at soccer. Additionally, I don't know where to go and shoot BIF. I did see a lot of hawks yesterday driving around making sales calls in mid Michigan. We've got some on the golf course but it's not practical to shoot while golfers are out there.

I’m lucky enough to live 10 minutes from a national wildlife refuge that has bald eagle nests. I spent a lot of time there when I had my D500 and 150-600.. and honestly it just wasn’t worth the time I had to put in per image. For every image that was worth keeping I’d put in 8-10 hours of time sitting in a blind or walking around. I don’t have that kind of patience.. but I wish I did because I love wildlife photos.

If you’re looking for places to photograph birds near you, try getting involved with a local birdwatching club on Facebook. You can likely gain some inside info.

I want the 100-400 mostly for field sports and motor sports, but also just because I like having a long lens. If I’m being honest, I’d much prefer the new 200 f/2.. I’ll be it’ll be one amazing portrait lens much like the Nikon version is. But for where I’m at in photography there is no way I can justify $6k for any single piece of equipment.

Awesome shots.

The 16 is a special lens. However, it's kind of a waste of money in some respects. The only thing that sets it apart is that it focuses close and can really give you creative looks to your subject. Sure the image quality is great but so are all the other fuji glass. It really is a great carrying companion to the 80 macro, which is how I use it the most. Oddly, I have seen some cool environmental portraits with the 16

Awesome shots.

The 16 is a special lens. However, it's kind of a waste of money in some respects. The only thing that sets it apart is that it focuses close and can really give you creative looks to your subject. Sure the image quality is great but so are all the other fuji glass. It really is a great carrying companion to the 80 macro, which is how I use it the most. Oddly, I have seen some cool portraits with the 16

Exactly. I’m thinking that 16 + 50, or 16 + 90 will be my go to event shooting combo.

Awesome shots.

The 16 is a special lens. However, it's kind of a waste of money in some respects. The only thing that sets it apart is that it focuses close and can really give you creative looks to your subject. Sure the image quality is great but so are all the other fuji glass. It really is a great carrying companion to the 80 macro, which is how I use it the most. Oddly, I have seen some cool portraits with the 16

Exactly. I’m thinking that 16 + 50, or 16 + 90 will be my go to event shooting combo.
The Nissin flash's work super easy on the fujifilm system. I turn the flash head 90° and gaffer tape a 4 x 6 or 5 x 7 photo paper sheet to it, looks stupid but works great. Of course, I had to do something, the wedding was in a barn.

Awesome shots.

I'm going to rent one, but it would replace a Nikon 200-500 so I'll be surprised if it seems more cumbersome than what I'm accustomed to (shot sigma 150-600 prior to that).

You are so right about the patience! Birding can be a long slog. Not always exciting or glamorous. ;)

Awesome shots.

I'm going to rent one, but it would replace a Nikon 200-500 so I'll be surprised if it seems more cumbersome than what I'm accustomed to (shot sigma 150-600 prior to that).

You are so right about the patience! Birding can be a long slog. Not always exciting or glamorous. ;)
You shoot Fuji? What camera?

Awesome shots.

You shoot Fuji? What camera?

X-T20 right now. X-T3 when it arrives.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back